cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #1
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Are LDS people that support gay marriage

sustaining the first presidency, and the twelve apostles? I am serious. If we vote to sustain them in this capacity, doesn't that include following their counsel on an issue they obviously feel is very important?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
sustaining the first presidency, and the twelve apostles? I am serious. If we vote to sustain them in this capacity, doesn't that include following their counsel on an issue they obviously feel is very important?
Wow....I've never thought of it that way before. Thanks for coming back.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Wow....I've never thought of it that way before. Thanks for coming back.
Anyone have any serious responses?

Don't get too excited. I doubt I will be back for long. It was actually quite nice not reading the bullshit here for a while.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Your post has the usual grammatical markers of a legitimate question yet none of the substance.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Church has not added any questions concerning gay marriage to the temple recommend questions. They could start asking about it immediately if they considered it a core doctrine of the Church. Thus, I must conclude that they do not require a member to support gay marriage bans in order to remain a member of the Church in good standing.

This is a political question. You don't have to support a legal ban on abortion, either, as far as I know. Why don't they add this to the temple recommend questions? Probably because they respect the right of the individual member to disagree with Church leadership on this issue.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Your post has the usual grammatical markers of a legitimate question yet none of the substance.
Why don't you just answer the question?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
The Church has not added any questions concerning gay marriage to the temple recommend questions. They could start asking about it immediately if they considered it a core doctrine of the Church. Thus, I must conclude that they do not require a member to support gay marriage bans in order to remain a member of the Church in good standing.

This is a political question. You don't have to support a legal ban on abortion, either, as far as I know. Why don't they add this to the temple recommend questions? Probably because they respect the right of the individual member to disagree with Church leadership on this issue.
Wrong, the brethren have clearly stated this is not a political issue, but a moral issue.

Does anyone honestly think the First Pres, and the Quorum of the Twelve have NOT prayed about this issue, and what they should tell the members? Obviously they have, and their directions are clear. Therefore, how can anyone who claims to sustain these men as prophets, be in favor of gay marriage? It makes no sense.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Wrong, the brethren have clearly stated this is not a political issue, but a moral issue.

Does anyone honestly think the First Pres, and the Quorum of the Twelve have NOT prayed about this issue, and what they should tell the members? Obviously they have, and their directions are clear. Therefore, how can anyone who claims to sustain these men as prophets, be in favor of gay marriage? It makes no sense.
I don't know what they've done about it. However, I am straight and will forever seek heterosexual companionship.

What goes on in California is of little concern of mine. If gays wish to be miserable like straights, why not let them.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't think you know what it means to "be in favor of gay marriage." Many people may oppose gay marriage on a religious level -- they think God does not condone it -- but that in our pluralistic, democratic society, gay marriage should be respected as a civil right.

It is the same with abortion: many believe God does not condone it -- even forbids it -- but that in our democratic, free society, it is not the place of the State to forbid it and strip a woman of her agency in that regard, no matter the choices she made that resulted in her pregnancy.

BTW, I fully intend to have light-hearted moments in my next Sacrament meeting talk. Do I sustain the Brethren there?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What goes on in California is of little concern of mine. If gays wish to be miserable like straights, why not let them.
That's not inspiring either.