cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prop 8 and bananas ...

A certain artist was invited to present his work to a potential client interested in hiring him to produce a series of illustrations. It was suggested that the illustrations would be of fruit. Excited, the artist compiled his best, most relevant work into a carefully crafted portfolio. Confident, he went into the interview convinced he would secure a contract.

As the artist showed his work it was met with approval and acknowledgement of his considerable talent. During the course of the interview the client wondered aloud; “do you have any drawings of bananas?”

The artist answered with supreme confidence; “well, in my portfolio I have drawings of apples, oranges, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums and many other varieties of fruit ... and while I do not have a specific drawing of a banana to show you I am certain I can draw one to your satisfaction. Concerned, the client countered; “Yes, you have amazing drawings but I don’t see any of bananas ... and I’m just not convinced you can draw bananas!”

The client and artist were at an impasse; the artist baffled by the narrow-mindedness of the client, and the client dismayed at the lack of demonstrable evidence to the benefit of his focus. Obviously, no contract was secured. Both the artist and client left the interview dissatisfied and disenchanted.

In regards to the Prop 8 argument, who are you -- the artist or client. Each side will only ever be able to provide something other than a banana to support their argument. Therefore, ultimately, it is a question of faith, or rather, who or what is worthy of your faith?

Last edited by tooblue; 10-13-2008 at 11:58 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting choice of metaphor. Who is giving the banana to whom?

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I thought of the classic Velvet Underground/Andy Warhol cover

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I know many gay people, mostly in SoCal, but not exclusively. And recently it occured to me that not one of them has expressed their opinion to me that they are thankful for the CA Supreme Court ruling, that they are thankful to have equal marital rights now, that they are hopeful that Prop 8 fails so they can look forward to increased equality in the future. Not one. Then again, that could largely be attributed to the fact that most of my gay peers are in the early-to-mid 20's demographic, and that is not a common marrying age in SoCal. Most of my gay peers are focused on school, work, and having a good time, and don't even talk about marriage or partnerships.

So that begs the question, why am I so concerned about their equality when I don't know any of them to be voicing the same? What it boils down to is, do I wish that all people of all races and circumstance to be afforded the same opportunities...even though the "repressed" don't appear to be saying much about it? Sure we have the Rosie O'Donnells of the world speaking their voice, but the average citizen in Rosie's shoes doesn't seem to care.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Interesting choice of metaphor. Who is giving the banana to whom?

Maybe the 'metaphor' is interesting because it exposes buffoonery? Silliness is much easier than well-reasoned and thoughtful commentary.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you mean to say that there is equipoise, and in such a case, you should side with the Lord's annointed. Or something like that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you mean to say that there is equipoise, and in such a case, you should side with the Lord's annointed. Or something like that.
That might be what you mean to say, but I said "who or what is worthy of your faith".
Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't get this parable. Can someone do an exegesis for me?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't get this parable. Can someone do an exegesis for me?
The client represents those who oppose Proposition 8. The artist represents those who favor Proposition 8. The paintings represent arguments in favor of Proposition 8 (in other words, they suck). The painting of the banana represents proof that gay marriage is bad. The client demands the painting of the banana (proof that gay marriage is bad) but the artist cannot provide it. Neither the client nor the artist can see the painting of the banana so they have no proof that gay marriage is bad (or good) -- it's a question of faith.

Something like that. It was clearly written by somebody with an unhealthy preoccupation with bananas, probably due to repressed homosexuality. I prefer cantaloupes myself -- that's what my parable would have been about.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
The client represents those who oppose Proposition 8. The artist represents those who favor Proposition 8. The paintings represent arguments in favor of Proposition 8 (in other words, they suck). The painting of the banana represents proof that gay marriage is bad. The client demands the painting of the banana (proof that gay marriage is bad) but the artist cannot provide it. Neither the client nor the artist can see the painting of the banana so they have no proof that gay marriage is bad (or good) -- it's a question of faith.

Something like that. It was clearly written by somebody with an unhealthy preoccupation with bananas, probably due to repressed homosexuality. I prefer cantaloupes myself -- that's what my parable would have been about.
Or, your interpretation skills are poor and your inadequate attempt at a response is qualified by derision. Because after your attempt at an explanation you realized it could mean the EXACT opposite of what you wrote above ... and maybe the arguments offered by both sides are inadequate and ultimately it is a question of where one is willing to place his/her faith, regardless of whether or not one is religious.

Last edited by tooblue; 10-14-2008 at 01:38 PM.