cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Matador stirring the pot

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=4123154

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Folks, that's what most of this is about. Hate for gays and what they represent.

I think it would have been very hard to have a reasoned nuanced view against Civil Rights in the 1960s, but realize that you were marching next to and with the KKK.

I think that is what some of you here are trying to do.

With so many saying "I'm voting for Prop 8, but I am not a bigot", it is refreshing for some to finally come out and say, "I'm voting for Prop 8, and yes, damn straight, I am a bigot."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

That thread is unbelievable.

CB today is Exhibit A of one of the sad consequences of the LDS church's stand on Prop 8. The bigots are emboldened and lashing out. This is ugly.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

CB today is Exhibit A of one of the sad consequences of the LDS church's stand on Prop 8. The bigots are emboldened and lashing out. This is ugly.
I see your point, but I try to do the Lemons ---> Lemonade approach.

I would have never guessed that about Shasta61 and his daughter.

Sometimes threads like this also bring out the human side in otherwise silent lurkers.

The idiots that are manifesting themselves in those threads....well.....we already knew they were idiots.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

You should see the boardmails matador is sending me...he is one pissed off dude, lol.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

CB is brimming with a lot of young white males brimming with testoserone. So their rhetoric is heated. But you are kidding yourself if you think they don't represent the trure face of the LDS Church.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:51 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
CB is brimming with a lot of young white males brimming with testoserone. So their rhetoric is heated. But you are kidding yourself if you think they don't represent the trure face of the LDS Church.
First of all, I never claimed that this type of thinking is rare. There is certainly a significant subset of the church that feels this way and they are feeling vindicated. It's unfortunate.

And with all due respect, I don't consider you an expert on the true face of the LDS church.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
First of all, I never claimed that this type of thinking is rare.
Your comment that support for Prop. 8 was emboldening the bigots suggests that Church leaders are more righteous than the bigots and the bigots being emboldened is an unfortunate by-product, that in a sense bigots are even taking advantage of church leaders who are at worst guilty of naivete. You need to belly up and acknowkedge that the Church leaders are themselves as bigoted as any of the people on CB you deplore, the king bigots and lords of the minion bigots, and therefore more despicable than the bigots on CB.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Young men with access to computers who have the time to post on message boards are obviously not representative of the entire body of LDS. However, I would guess, generally speaking, that they have more education, resources, and present/future income than the world's average LDS. Broadly speaking, the LDS who have the means to post on CB should be the vanguard of enlightened, capable, intelligent, educated, well-to-do, upwardly mobile LDS in American and world society. They are the future leaders of their church.

And they post this shit.

Disappointing.

Maybe they'll mellow with age.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Young men with access to computers who have the time to post on message boards are obviously not representative of the entire body of LDS. However, I would guess, generally speaking, that they have more education, resources, and present/future income than the world's average LDS. Broadly speaking, the LDS who have the means to post on CB should be the vanguard of enlightened, capable, intelligent, educated, well-to-do, upwardly mobile LDS in American and world society. They are the future leaders of their church.

And they post this shit.

Disappointing.

Maybe they'll mellow with age.
Over here, I get slammed for suggesting that gays are the unknown "other" to most. As if every one of these guys has multiple gay relatives and friends like ERCougar suggested.

SoCalCoug is for Prop 8, I think.
tick is for it.
my dad is for it.

It's very clear that it has been very EASY for the church to rally members to its side, and they have bought into the fear very quickly, and are propagating it to everyone else.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote