cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Hey don't be so subpoena-happy.
Is this typical of lawyers? That when they joke it's funny, but when others joke, it's actionable?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #32
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Is this typical of lawyers? That when they joke it's funny, but when others joke, it's actionable?

ONly when the lawyer is the butt of the joke, in which case it should be actioanble, unless it is a lawyer other than me.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #33
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids are not afraid of death or dead bodies or anything to do with the funeral business.

BTW - one of my major pet peeves is the misspelling of a burial ground.

c-e-m-e-t-E-r-y, dammit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 PM   #34
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

I love cemeteries. My parents occasionally took us to old cemeteries in mining towns. those are really interesting. You can tell when an epidemic swept through the town. Lots of little kids buried within just a couple of months of each other. They also took us the the Salt Lake and St. George cemeteries to see where some of our relatives are buried.

The most interesting cemeteries I've been to are a cemetery I visited in Esquipulas, Guatemala
Austin, Nevada (Really weird. It was a mining town, and has a huge cemetery. Because the weather is so dry that some of the wooden headstones from 1800's were still legible, kind of felt like going back in time.)
National Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu
Hollywood Forever cemetery
National cemetery in DC

My dad took my brothers to the dump, he did not take his daughters. My brothers didn't seem to mind going at all.

The Bean museum is a good idea too though, my parents also took us there, and before I moved I took my little brothers. They loved it.

I went on a tour of the sanitation plant when I was in elementary school. It was pretty interesting. Interesting enough that I still remember going.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #35
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I love cemeteries. My parents occasionally took us to old cemeteries in mining towns. those are really interesting. You can tell when an epidemic swept through the town. Lots of little kids buried within just a couple of months of each other. They also took us the the Salt Lake and St. George cemeteries to see where some of our relatives are buried.

The most interesting cemeteries I've been to are a cemetery I visited in Esquipulas, Guatemala
Austin, Nevada (Really weird. It was a mining town, and has a huge cemetery. Because the weather is so dry that some of the wooden headstones from 1800's were still legible, kind of felt like going back in time.)
National cemetery in DC

My dad took my brothers to the dump, he did not take his daughters. My brothers didn't seem to mind going at all.

The Bean museum is a good idea too though, my parents also took us there, and before I moved I took my little brothers. They loved it.

I went on a tour of the sanitation plant when I was in elementary school. It was pretty interesting. Interesting enough that I still remember going.
Great post.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #36
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

National cemetery in DC

Great comments.

Cemeteries are history lessons of their residents, especially when you visit some of them in the old mining towns or the ghost towns of the historic west. It's amazing how much you can learn about a person's life just by reading a grave marker.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:52 AM   #37
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

National cemetery in DC
When we were in England two years ago we went to little villages in the countryside where our ancestors lived before coming to the USA. We would go to the churches (there was always one big church in the middle of town - centuries old) and rummage around in the cemeteries looking for graves of ancestors. In one case the church historian came in and spent two hours telling us stories of our ancestors and showing us graves, family crests, etc. Fabulous experience.

And on that same trip we visited the US cemetery at Omaha beach in Normandy. Nothing quite compares to that.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #38
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

My mom and sister love going to an old Mormon pioneer cemetery in Utah where the tombstones depict all kinds of top secret ("sacred") stuff from the temple. In today's context, it's as if the pioneers were unwittingly creating an anti-Mormon cemetery.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #39
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
When we were in England two years ago we went to little villages in the countryside where our ancestors lived before coming to the USA. We would go to the churches (there was always one big church in the middle of town - centuries old) and rummage around in the cemeteries looking for graves of ancestors. In one case the church historian came in and spent two hours telling us stories of our ancestors and showing us graves, family crests, etc. Fabulous experience.

And on that same trip we visited the US cemetery at Omaha beach in Normandy. Nothing quite compares to that.
I would love to visit the cemetery in Normandy. I've heard it's amazing. I also went to a cemetery in some unincorporated town in West Virginia where my grandpa, along with seemingly everyone else in his family that has ever died. Our grandpa was dead by the time my cousin and I were born, but we randomly met some old man who was there that grew up with him. It was really interesting.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 AM   #40
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

One thing that hits me at that little military cemetary by our house is how warriors tend to live relatively short and bruthish lives even if the war doen't kill them. The ones who died in that cemetary over 60 are sparse, yet most didn't die during wars (you can tell by the dates). Most seem to have died before age 50 and many much younger. Many died within five years of major wars, which makes me wonder if they weren't serously wounded then died.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote