cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa
Default Having Children in Crappy Marriages

I can't remember if I've brought up or if this topic has been discussed before on here. If it has I apologize.

Being single for the last 5 years since my divorce, as many of you know I've dated several Single mothers. My girlfriend now is a mother of 2 children.

Over time in just talking with them and several other gals, most of them really despise their ex-husbands and claim the majority of their marriages were terrible.

And yet.....they continued to have children even when things were very bad or getting worse. I've been hesistant to ask them this as I don't want to offend them, but it's something that baffles me.

Someone help me understand the thought process of..."Well everything sucks, I hate my marriage,,I hate my husband....but yeah I want to have another kid with him"...type of thinking.

My girlfriend tried explaining it as..."Having another child creates a further buffer between you and your husband, and that's why most women do it."

I do not understand it.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate to threadjack, but I have to know. Is your girlfriend the one where when you first kissed her, you were surprised to feel a hairly upper lip?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

I would never dare to profess confidence in swimming the murky waters that are a female's thoughts but often I think couples in bad relationships have kids during the "good times" in a belief that those times are the start of an ongoing upward trend. I don't know where this concept of "kids as buffer" would fit into my theory other than the belief that it could be revisionist history.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully none of the women on this site weigh in.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Hopefully none of the women on this site weigh in.
I have a feeling one or two may share their "thoughts," although it is the middle of the night in the Middle east right now...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

That's an excellent question, Rocky. I have seen it happen and it is baffling.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I can't remember if I've brought up or if this topic has been discussed before on here. If it has I apologize.

Being single for the last 5 years since my divorce, as many of you know I've dated several Single mothers. My girlfriend now is a mother of 2 children.

Over time in just talking with them and several other gals, most of them really despise their ex-husbands and claim the majority of their marriages were terrible.

And yet.....they continued to have children even when things were very bad or getting worse. I've been hesistant to ask them this as I don't want to offend them, but it's something that baffles me.

Someone help me understand the thought process of..."Well everything sucks, I hate my marriage,,I hate my husband....but yeah I want to have another kid with him"...type of thinking.

My girlfriend tried explaining it as..."Having another child creates a further buffer between you and your husband, and that's why most women do it."

I do not understand it.
I have heard it explained not in terms of a buffer, but that a woman can feel both loved and needed through little children, thereby fulfilling a basic need that she was previously lacking in her marriage. Makes sense in a way.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have heard it explained not in terms of a buffer, but that a woman can feel both loved and needed through little children, thereby fulfilling a basic need that she was previously lacking in her marriage. Makes sense in a way.
Children as a surrogate husband? I can see that.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I hate to threadjack, but I have to know. Is your girlfriend the one where when you first kissed her, you were surprised to feel a hairly upper lip?
LOL...you saw my thread I started on Cougarboard yesterday?

No, it wasn't her.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

My marriage lasted only seven months, and we became pregnant three months into it. There were already problems at that point, but I felt like, not having children would be as though we were planning to fail. As though avoiding the creation of a family would be a lack of faith in that marriage is a pyramid between the spouses and the savior, and all of those other cute things that they lecture on during your temple sealing.

Last edited by ute4ever; 12-04-2007 at 09:30 PM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote