cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I went to Autozone last night, but they said they wouldn't scan when it was dark, due to safety reasons.

So I went there again this morning, and they scanned and no codes came up. The lady said maybe it could be water in the gas. I bought a thing of STP treatment, put it in.

Turned on car, light is off.

The scanning, I am guessing, reset the light setting. Who knows.
If your gas cap is not on properly (or at all) your tank won't pressurize properly and this will mess up the sensors in your system, causing the code to trigger. It will usually take a few cycles of starting and stopping the engine (this means starting, running until fully warm so all the sensors go through all their positions, and then allowing to cool down) with the cap on properly to re-set the light. This has happened to me (my wife) a couple of times.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
If your gas cap is not on properly (or at all) your tank won't pressurize properly and this will mess up the sensors in your system, causing the code to trigger. It will usually take a few cycles of starting and stopping the engine (this means starting, running until fully warm so all the sensors go through all their positions, and then allowing to cool down) with the cap on properly to re-set the light. This has happened to me (my wife) a couple of times.
I don't think this was the problem. I'm not a gas cap amateur.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't think this was the problem. I'm not a gas cap amateur.
Well, it was just sort of me doing stream of consciousness. It was triggered by the comment about water in the tank. I know that once we thought the cap was on properly but the threads were crossed and this was the apparent cause of the problem. But I suppose that after 30+ years of filling gas tanks I might still be at the amateur lev4el. Oh well, at least your light is off.