cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default My Ward New Year's Eve Party predicted itinerary

Tonight, MMM and I are going to the home of a young married couple in our ward. They are hosting a NYE bash for their circle of friends, which includes La Famiglia DDD.

As a qualifier, I have been lucky to spend NYE in several spots during my lifetime, including Las Vegas, Honolulu, New York City, Bolivia, Los Angeles, San Diego, Utah, and Australia. That being said, I am not much on NYE as a holiday. For LDS, it holds little allure. There is no getting drunk, no hooking up, no scandalous behavior. It is basically staying up late for no real purpose when I would rather just be home. Going to destination spots for NYE was fun, but only because it was fun being in those cities to begin with.

So this year, it is NYE in South County. I think parts of it will be fun. It is always nice for us to get a night out sans bambini, plus we can see some friends and have a few laughs. Nevertheless, I have noticed that LDS "invite only" parties usually have the same itinerary, esp when it comes to NYE functions.

Here is how I think mine will go...

1. Show up.
2. Eat. The food will be about 85% desserts, no main dishes. I will be starving because I don't like to eat 5 pieces of cake as a meal. Inevitably, there will be one or two desserts that do not get eaten because they are either gross or store-bought (and thus less appealing than homemade options). You can tell which wife made the gross dessert because her husband is the only one who is eating it.
3. Men begin the unspoken game of sardines, wherein all men silently explore the house looking for the one spot in the house where all men will congregate, thereby avoiding helping or unnecessary socializing.
4. Women talk to each other--usually gossip cloaked as chit chat about other ward members. Someone in the group will use this opportunity to leak confidential info about someone else in the ward....then cover it up by saying that she thought everyone already knew.
5. Men talk to each other--usually about sports, sometimes about money. If the gathering has a high Peter/Molly ratio of attendees, much of the discussion will center around ward callings, new move-ins, and holiday experiences. If there is a low Peter/Molly ratio, much of the discussion will center around Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and the impending DVD release of Superbad.
6. At some point...maybe around 9PM, one woman will decide that people enjoying themselves in conversation is not good. She will disrupt all conversations and demand that everyone play a group game. Teams will be divided into male vs females. One couple will immediately and openly anoint themselves as "competitive." Usually, only one of the two competitive spouses adds value to whatever game is being played. Also, there will be one couple that stinks at every single game.
7. As a rule, the game to be played usually involves luck, drawing/acting, and being loud. A game wherein the more intelligent person holds the advantage is usually avoided. The game most like to be played is the one where you put names/words on paper and then into a bowl...then you pull the papers from the bowl and act them out to your team for points.
8. At this point, I will be openly bored and go to the other room to watch TV with one or two other guys.
9. My wife will get annoyed with me for leaving the game.
9a. My wife will admit later that she was jealous that I had the guts to leave, not her.
10. Someone will jokingly suggest that we do a NYE countdown based on Utah time.
11. We will leave early and come home.
12. I will be asleep before midnight.

I dont know for sure, but I have a feeling this is how it will all play out.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I am spending NYE in my den watching tv and surfin' the net*. Just like last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before that. And I think the year before that, but I'm not sure because I'm not paying attention to how many previous years I've mentioned so far, but you get the point.

*surfin' the net is defined as going back and forth between 2 or maybe 3 different sites.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

All of my friends now have kids of their own so NYE parties are not longer fun because well nobody wants to have their kids out until midnight. So I just got home from playing basketball with a few CBers (Ysmack, Donuthole, Brizz, Livecoug and some others) it was better than anything I was going to do on New years.

Funny story however, I recieved 3 seperate invites to NYE parties, from 3 of my friends, well all 3 of these friends are also friends with one another but they all have young kids so they all wanted to host the party so that they didnt have to worry about their kids. Well if they would have all gotten together they could have had a nice little shindig. Instead couple number 1 had nobody show up. Couple number 2 had 1 other couple, and couple number 3 had their inlaws and the neighbor show up. If they would have had a central location they could have had 6 couples at least.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I haven't made it to midnight on NYE for years. And it's weird, because I normally stay up late, but for some reason on NYE I always get sleepy and end up going to bed around 10.

Your right, DDD, NYE is a pointless holiday for Mormons.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I rang in the new year at an Irish pub in the gaslamp district of San Diego. I can post photos of girls gone wild if you want, if that's not against the rules.

Sorry for setting a bad example but I really didn't want to play UNO and Phase 10 with the mormon singles yet again.

Walking back to my car at 1 it was apparent that not only was I the ONLY sober guy downtown, but also the only one with a BAL below .20.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #6
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

This is exactly why I avoid at all costs these stupid LDS NYE, or any other other type of parties.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I fell asleep shortly after 1:00 am to the soothing sounds of my neighbors base on his stereo system. I'm pretty sure that he had one song that was looping the whole time because the base line never changed. I didn't really care, other than the fact that my brother was there with his 6 year old and 4 year old and they had to get up at 5:00 am to fly back to California. I'm pretty sure that someone left the party shortly before we packed up the car to go to the airport.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote