cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #91
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Thats crazy. I just checked my mileage log the other day. June and July were easily my biggest months of the year. June was just under 400 miles, July was 350. I would be thrilled to get 90 miles in a week.

Did getting fried at the crit a couple of weeks ago have anything to do with it?
I think that was part of it. I got in about 850 miles during July and I think I just needed a break.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #92
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I think that was part of it. I got in about 850 miles during July and I think I just needed a break.
Holy cow, man. No wonder you're cooked. When is LOTOJA again? A week or two off probably wouldn't hurt you a bit after a month like that.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #93
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue goose View Post
Holy cow, man. No wonder you're cooked. When is LOTTA again? A week or two off probably wouldn't hurt you a bit after a month like that.
September 6th. I'm just worried that Arch is going to get tired of dragging my butt around and I would like to help him a little.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #94
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I logged 400 miles in July and that was with only one actual "cycling" ride of 20 miles. The rest was all commuting to work and around town with each ride being 6 miles or less. I doubt it helps my cycling much but I sure don't think it hurts the overall health.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #95
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I will finally get in on this. I ran a lot last summer, and got down from 190 to 170 and ran 2 half marathons, but kept having tendinitis in my foot flare up and it shut me down and I've had a hard time getting back in the habit of waking up early to run before work. I'm 5-11 and as of this morning, I am 195 lbs. I'd like to get down to about 165 by the end of the year.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #96
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I'm not really fat, per se, but I have about 20 lbs I could do without. I've been planning on "doing without" them for about 7 years without much success. I also like to run, but am really frustrated that I'm so much slower than I used to be; I'm thinking that if I can lose the 20 lb backpack, I might be able to run a little faster.

I'm thinking I need someone/something to check in to. So forgive me--I know these can be really annoying, but I'm going to check in with cougarguard. If you don't care, skip it, put me on ignore, whatever.

Right now, I weigh 209.8 (24.5 % BF according to my little impedance scale). By the Snow Canyon half-marathon on Nov 9, I'm going to weigh 190 (my weight on my wedding day), which amounts to about 1 lb/week.

Anyone else want to check in?
This morning: 201.8 (23.1% BF), which makes 8 lbs over 5 weeks. A couple of slow weeks in a row, but I'm still on pace for my goal.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #97
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

242. A long weekend of drinking, fishing, drinking, red meat, drinking, golf and drinking was not helpful.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #98
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I'm not really fat, per se, but I have about 20 lbs I could do without. I've been planning on "doing without" them for about 7 years without much success. I also like to run, but am really frustrated that I'm so much slower than I used to be; I'm thinking that if I can lose the 20 lb backpack, I might be able to run a little faster.

I'm thinking I need someone/something to check in to. So forgive me--I know these can be really annoying, but I'm going to check in with cougarguard. If you don't care, skip it, put me on ignore, whatever.

Right now, I weigh 209.8 (24.5 % BF according to my little impedance scale). By the Snow Canyon half-marathon on Nov 9, I'm going to weigh 190 (my weight on my wedding day), which amounts to about 1 lb/week.

Anyone else want to check in?
Hey whatever helps you keep on task here. I was 260 lbs in January and now I am down to 222. I still have a ways to go to get to 180.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #99
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I wish some of you clydesdales wouldnt' try to work off the weight by running. Do something that's not as hard on the knees, i.e. mix it up some more.
LOL tell me about it. I power walked in the beginning. At 260 running would hobble me for a week. So I decided to humble my enough to admit that I needed to lose the weight before I strut my stuff at speeds exceeding the breath of a dying man. That was 7 months ago. Now I am down to 222 and am able to mix it up. I run in spurts, and flirt with 2.5K of total actual running. I am not hobbled up like before. I have found hiking up the harder local trails actually works the lungs more and so I have spent time doing that as well.

180 ...here I come to stay.

I'll say this. I will never allow myself as long as I am physically able to ever let myself get into such bad shape again. It really sucks.

Click on image for my card and blog
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #100
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am still working towards my lame goal of a 5K in October....around here, a 5K is something you do to warm up for your normal workout.

My time has improved, though...I have been running or going on the eliptical or 5 days a week. I can now run a large portion of the 5K without walking...and when I do walk, it is more because my knee bugs, not because I am tired.

I am now down to about 44 minutes to finish my 5K....which is an improvement of about 20 minutes (still sucks, I know, but getting better).

I am 5'10" and weigh 174.

I am pretty comfortable with my weight....dont want to lose weight. I just want to keep lifting to get stronger (which I guess will increase my weight?).

One question for those that lift a lot....is it truly possible to max out or lift really strenuously without a workout partner to spot you? Seems like you get a better workout and can push yourself more if someone is there to spot you on those last few reps.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote