cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #61
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Again, wouldn't surprise me if this is true.
It actually would surprise me that Mitt has been roaming the Earth rarely receiving inspiration from the Spirit...esp given the callings he has held.

What is surprising me less and less is Mitt's willingness to avoid discussions about some of our more plain and simple truths.

This is like the water boarding question all over again.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #62
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
according to you he was only talking about himself, so I mention that you forgot to say he wasn't speaking about Moses in that quote as well.

I know it's strained logic, but to each his own.
The only strained logic here is yours as you insist on propelling a fabricated controversy.

Parse and parse some more and maybe you can divert this discussion.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #63
tooblue

Quote:
One gets the impression that a Harry Reid would not be given near the leeway that a Mitt Romney gets, if Harry had suggested the same thing.

The simple fact is that many Mormons want to see Mitt become president, no matter the circumstances, no matter the untruths, no matter the flip-flopping, etc.

"He's a different kind of politician. He's honest. He's a man of God. He's had a change of heart, and finally seen that God's truth is coincident with conservative GOP beliefs."

Only the intellectually dishonest fail to see this.
And now you are talking about Harry Reid? lol Quel justice ! incroyable; c'est pas possible qu'il veut changer le sujet ?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #64
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One gets the impression that a Harry Reid would not be given near the leeway that a Mitt Romney gets, if Harry had suggested the same thing.

The simple fact is that many Mormons want to see Mitt become president, no matter the circumstances, no matter the untruths, no matter the flip-flopping, etc.

"He's a different kind of politician. He's honest. He's a man of God. He's had a change of heart, and finally seen that God's truth is coincident with conservative GOP beliefs."

Only the intellectually dishonest fail to see this.
So mormons aren't perfect. I thought you have contended that for a long time. Did you fear you were right and now you are pissed.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #65
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
So mormons aren't perfect. I thought you have contended that for a long time. Did you fear you were right and now you are pissed.
I merely point out that some of you here are the horribly flawed misshapen Mormons I am talking about.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #66
tooblue

Quote:
I merely point out that some of you here are the horribly flawed misshapen Mormons I am talking about.
Point of clarification: I am horribly flawed, misshapen and ignorant. Please continue.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #67
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is always interesting to me that harcore liberals are basically the same as hardcore conservatives, they just have a different agenda.

Both though are about telling other people who and what they are from their exhalted perch. Whether it be based on their supposed link to the almighty or their supposed link to superior brain power.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:22 PM   #68
Great in 2008

Great in 2008 is on a distinguished road
Default Romney issue with Huckabee

Very frustrating that Huckabee continues to rise in the polls by playing the religious prejudice card. He is an unelectable candidate to at least 2/3's of the country. Hard right Republican people are voting for him because he is a good Baptist preacher and nows how to motivate people on religious prejudice, fanning the flames of intolerance. His main gains came from using abortion against Guliani, and anti-Mormon insinuations against Romney. Not a good basis to pick a President. Please Iowa, send Huckabee back to Arkansas till he can understand that his narrow view of American religious life and his way of playing religious belief against others is not expansive enough to preside over the greatest nation on earth. I know Huckabee's parishioners are praying hard for his election; I'm praying hard:

"Please, not another hypocrite from Arkansas in the White House!"

Tolerance and compassion for every American and their beliefs is an excellent Presidential quality; I've see an extremely low level of this essential attribute from Mr. Huckabee and I cannot support him. Please early voting states--don't be misled by this man. Make sure your vote is not on religious grounds, but simply on whether Huckabee is the best man for the job. Imagine Huckabee is Mormon, or Romney is Baptist, who is best for the job then? Do it by what they have done--their deeds, not their beliefs. That's the way to decide this, take religion out of it. Huckabee talks like he loves our Savior but he sure doesn't follow His precepts. We need someone who encourages our great American religious diversity of belief, not someone who uses that diversity negatively to win the Presidency.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:58 PM   #69
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
It is always interesting to me that harcore liberals are basically the same as hardcore conservatives, they just have a different agenda.

Both though are about telling other people who and what they are from their exhalted perch. Whether it be based on their supposed link to the almighty or their supposed link to superior brain power.
Being a Mormon liberal, my opinions are based on both my link to the almighty and my superior brain power.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #70
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My speculation is that Mitt Romney strikes me as a guy like Prince Andrei in War and Peace--hugely intelligent but uninterested in metaphysics of any kind. He deals with the material world, the superficial world; as with successful any politician, it's his special expertise. Politicians are born. Intuitively, he plays all the angles. He doesn't burn bridges. He wouldn't cast aside his Mormon nest and network lightly, it wouldn't even occur to him to do so if intuitively he knew it would make his path to success more convoluted or arduous, weighing the pros and cons (and certainly it would have). He doesn't think much about how the Book of Mormon, the temple ceremony, etc. came to be. He's untroubled and probably bored by the issues that torment CGers who frequent the religion forum and would consider exchanging ideas about them to be a huge waste of time.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 12-26-2007 at 05:35 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote