cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2008, 04:30 AM   #11
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I almost cried. We get Pau Gasol for Kwame and change? Mitch pulled this? Man, I am going to have to start taking back a ton of the criticism I have heaped on him.

If the Lakers can play .500 ball to March and stay healthy they're going to make a run with Bynum back in the fold. Dancing down Figueroa baby.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
If the Lakers can play .500 ball to March and stay healthy they're going to make a run with Bynum back in the fold. Dancing down Figueroa baby.
.500 ball till March? Are expectations really that low? Even without Bynum, you guys should be a tough matchup for anybody.

PG: Fisher
SG: Kobe
SF: Odom
PF: Turiaf
C: Gasol

Add Bynum in there and slide Gasol to the 4, and yeah, I agree you guys are the favorites now. And Gasol is young enough that it isn't like you are sacrificing the future for a guy like Jason Kidd.

As a Jazz fan, I'm pissed about this move. If you're a Lakers fan, you have to be thrilled. Then again, Kupchek is still an idiot... would you rather have Gasol or Caron Butler?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
.500 ball till March? Are expectations really that low? Even without Bynum, you guys should be a tough matchup for anybody.

PG: Fisher
SG: Kobe
SF: Odom
PF: Turiaf
C: Gasol

Add Bynum in there and slide Gasol to the 4, and yeah, I agree you guys are the favorites now. And Gasol is young enough that it isn't like you are sacrificing the future for a guy like Jason Kidd.

As a Jazz fan, I'm pissed about this move. If you're a Lakers fan, you have to be thrilled. Then again, Kupchek is still an idiot... would you rather have Gasol or Caron Butler?
I think they can play .500 ball, but losing the size in the middle is a lot tougher to compensate than losing, say, one of your small forwards.

Speaking of which, I would rather have Gasol. Caron really blossomed when he left the Lakers (and was playing well with them, too), but if he didnt leave, we would have a logjam of small forwards We already have Lamar and Kobe often slides over to the 3 spot. Gasol gives us more versatility at the 4/5 positions, which is really where we needed the help all along. That being said, Caron really is a great player.

I am excited almost as much for our bench once Bynum gets back....Walton, Ariza, Farmar, Turiaf. It is a nice team and a young team.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

I am excited almost as much for our bench once Bynum gets back....Walton, Ariza, Farmar, Turiaf. It is a nice team and a young team.
Speaking of good moves, Kupchak's aquisition of Ariza is extremely underrated.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I give props to Danny Ainge for pulling off a trade for Jesus Shuttlesworth and for boning his old teammate to get Garnett.

But Mitch has actually done a really great job this season. You are right, Ariza is perfect for the Lakers system and he loves being back home.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #16
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think they can play .500 ball, but losing the size in the middle is a lot tougher to compensate than losing, say, one of your small forwards.
I agree, but adding Gasol right now is a HUGE upgrade over Kwame Brown. Huge. I think you should be able to more than just 'get by playing .500 ball' until March. Your expectations should be higher, unless of course you are saying Gasol will take a while to learn the triangle, which I might buy. (Although Hubie Brown called him one of the most 'cerebral' players he has ever coached last night, so maybe you shouldn't cut him any slack.)

Quote:
Speaking of which, I would rather have Gasol. Caron really blossomed when he left the Lakers (and was playing well with them, too), but if he didnt leave, we would have a logjam of small forwards We already have Lamar and Kobe often slides over to the 3 spot. Gasol gives us more versatility at the 4/5 positions, which is really where we needed the help all along. That being said, Caron really is a great player.

While I agree, I think Odom 'can' play the 4, and with Bynum at the 5 and Butler at the 3, and Kobe at the 2, that is one hell of an athletic and versatile team. You have all sorts of mismatch problems with that. And while a front line of Bynum, Gasol and Odom all taller than 6'10" is tough (and IMO becomes the top front line in all of basketball now) I think I'd prefer having Butler and your picks, including Critendon. But maybe that is just me, I think it is all preference.

Either way, the Lakers made a huge step in bettering their roster yesterday. Now, it's just hoping that Gasol can stay healthy enough and can get along with Kobe. If it happens, it looks like a Celtics-Lakers finals is here again.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #17
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
Amen. He can guard the best player on the opposing team and he doesn't take shots away from everyone else. I just wish he could hit the open looks he gets.

Kupcake is giving Ainge a run for his money.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote