cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #51
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
And with that, Tex concedes. Five pages after the start of this thread, Tex finally realizes that the only argument he has given has nothing to do with this thread, and is now focused solely on changing the subject to pretend as if there is a new argument to debate in this thread.

Game over.

It should be fun to see how many other posts Tex will throw up here that have nothing to do with the topic before he just stops posting.
The joke is, you don't even know what the subject was. Heh.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The joke is, you don't even know what the subject was. Heh.
One post, and counting. Keep going. Only one would be disappointing.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 PM   #53
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
If the reports are true from Fox News (it would be a first), on top of everything else we have already heard about Palin's total ignorance of life outside of Alaska, she also didn't know Africa was a continent and didn't know the names of the nations of North America (shocking, particularly given that she bordered one of them and was a state of another, needing just one more to get the answer right!).
See, now, that would be incorrect. Central America is still part of North America. To the list of Canada, the United States, and Mexico, you would have to add all them little guys down there too.

So maybe not the best bit on which you can bag on Palin, seeing as how you got it wrong, too.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #54
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
See, now, that would be incorrect. Central America is still part of North America. To the list of Canada, the United States, and Mexico, you would have to add all them little guys down there too.

So maybe not the best bit on which you can bag on Palin, seeing as how you got it wrong, too.
No, it depends entirely on usage. In the US, North America typically means only the US, Mexico and Canada. In other usages, it would include Greenland (which you didn't mention) and Central America, and in some usages would exclude Greenland. Given the context of the discussion in which the question arose with Palin (nations belonging to NAFTA), the common usage in the US of US, Canada and Mexico was what I would expect her to know at a minimum.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #55
All-American

Quote:
No, it depends entirely on usage. In the US, North America typically means only the US, Mexico and Canada. In other usages, it would include Greenland (which you didn't mention) and Central America, and in some usages would exclude Greenland. Given the context of the discussion in which the question arose with Palin (nations belonging to NAFTA), the common usage in the US of US, Canada and Mexico was what I would expect her to know at a minimum.
And in the US, that usage would be incorrect.

If you can show me that they meant that she was unable to name Canada, the US, and Mexico as countries in North America, I'll gladly yield. As it is, I don't buy it.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #56
Cali Coug

Quote:
And in the US, that usage would be incorrect.

If you can show me that they meant that she was unable to name Canada, the US, and Mexico as countries in North America, I'll gladly yield. As it is, I don't buy it.
Sure- Carl Cameron reported that she didn't know who the parties to NAFTA were, and that the response was that it was the nations of North America (according to the US usage), after which she appeared confused as to whom those nations were.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #57
All-American

Quote:
Sure- Carl Cameron reported that she didn't know who the parties to NAFTA were, and that the response was that it was the nations of North America (according to the US usage), after which she appeared confused as to whom those nations were.
See, now, she didn't know which nations were a part of NAFTA. Shame on her-- a potential VP should know that. But that's not the same thing as not knowing that Canada, the United States, and Mexico are part of North America. I hear that and can just as easily suppose that she isn't sure that, say, Honduras or Nicaragua are not also part of NAFTA.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #58
Cali Coug

Quote:
See, now, she didn't know which nations were a part of NAFTA. Shame on her-- a potential VP should know that. But that's not the same thing as not knowing that Canada, the United States, and Mexico are part of North America. I hear that and can just as easily suppose that she isn't sure that, say, Honduras or Nicaragua are not also part of NAFTA.
She didn't know either (according to Cameron). She didn't know who was in NAFTA, it was clarified that it was the nations of North America (which you can quibble with), and then didn't seem to know who was in North America.

I would like for her to know who is in NAFTA. That is pretty important. I would love for her to know what constitutes North America, even if it means only knowing the nations in North America according to common US usage. I would love for her to know that Africa is not a country. At least she isn't my governor.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #59
All-American

Quote:
She didn't know either (according to Cameron). She didn't know who was in NAFTA, it was clarified that it was the nations of North America (which you can quibble with), and then didn't seem to know who was in North America.

I would like for her to know who is in NAFTA. That is pretty important. I would love for her to know what constitutes North America, even if it means only knowing the nations in North America according to common US usage. I would love for her to know that Africa is not a country. At least she isn't my governor.
Again, from what you've told me, that doesn't seem to be what Cameron was reporting. Cameron reports that she didn't know who was in NAFTA (and shame on her for not knowing it, as a VP candidate). But I don't see this bit about not knowing the common and incorrect usage. And as for the bit on not knowing Africa is not a country, didn't that one get debunked earlier up?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #60
Cali Coug

Quote:
Again, from what you've told me, that doesn't seem to be what Cameron was reporting. Cameron reports that she didn't know who was in NAFTA (and shame on her for not knowing it, as a VP candidate). But I don't see this bit about not knowing the common and incorrect usage. And as for the bit on not knowing Africa is not a country, didn't that one get debunked earlier up?
*sigh*