cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You are withdrawing your definition of sexism, then. Very well.

You are welcome, of course, to actually refute my logic instead of resorting to namecalling. Or is it that when you lose an argument, you just accuse the other side of trolling?
No, I am doing no such thing.

By your thinking, because you are human and LDS, by saying perhaps you should reconsider law, I am discriminating on bases of species and religion.

A professor who says "profession X is good for men but bad for women" is sexist.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
No, I am doing no such thing.

By your thinking, because you are human and LDS, by saying perhaps you should reconsider law, I am discriminating on bases of species and religion.

A professor who says "profession X is good for men but bad for women" is sexist.
Mike, I promise, I will never criticize you for offering different advice to a person than you would to a puppy dog.

I do concur with your last idea. I'll tell you, though, I'm not having much luck so far finding examples of that kind of sexism from the experiences of others at BYU, so I'm trying to cast a wider net. I have a few other acquaintances who should have some interesting things to say. When I hear back from them, I will make my report.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Mike, I promise, I will never criticize you for offering different advice to a person than you would to a puppy dog.

I do concur with your last idea. I'll tell you, though, I'm not having much luck so far finding examples of that kind of sexism from the experiences of others at BYU, so I'm trying to cast a wider net. I have a few other acquaintances who should have some interesting things to say. When I hear back from them, I will make my report.
It helps if the people you ask are in areas of study were women are underepresented at BYU.

No one questioned my wife about the propriety of her becoming a piano teacher.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #24
All-American

Quote:
It helps if the people you ask are in areas of study were women are underepresented at BYU.

No one questioned my wife about the propriety of her becoming a piano teacher.
I agree. That's why I'm trying to cast a wider net. Most of my friends have the goal of being a stay at home mother; it comes as no surprise when they say they never met much criticism of that goal. Among the women I have addressed in the second salvo are a current and former BYU professor and a member of the Utah House of Representatives. They should have something interesting to say.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

It says something when we have a hard time finding LDS women to ask, because we know so few in these circumstances.

For example, I can't ask a LDS female doctor because I don't know one. I can't ask a female LDS woman who practices law, because I don't know one.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #26
All-American

Quote:
It says something when we have a hard time finding LDS women to ask, because we know so few in these circumstances.

For example, I can't ask a LDS female doctor because I don't know one. I can't ask a female LDS woman who practices law, because I don't know one.
That fact hasn't escaped me.

(Incidentally, I DO know an LDS female doctor and a female LDS woman who practices law. I will ask them what they think, too.)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I just got an email from my friend, and boy is it a doozy. Blatant discrimination, sexism, social ostracization, discouragement, etc. I think I am going to ask if I can anonymize it and share it with you.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #28
All-American

Quote:
I just got an email from my friend, and boy is it a doozy. Blatant discrimination, sexism, social ostracization, discouragement, etc. I think I am going to ask if I can anonymize it and share it with you.
Please do.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:08 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

If you lived in Utah, you would know several LDS women who practice law. I only know one LDS woman who practices medicine.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote