cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why should I have confidence in Max Hall?

I see so many optimistic predictions, despite the fact we have a new unproven quarterback.

History tells us that new quarterbacks usually struggle.

How good is Hall going to be? And if he is the usual first year QB are we saying that the rest of the team is good enough to make up for it?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

For homers who expect a QB to start well, I guess they see only blue. I expect to lose one to two games which an experienced QB would win.

I see no reason for faith in Max Hall, especially after viewing him at the spring game.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I see so many optimistic predictions, despite the fact we have a new unproven quarterback.

How good is Hall going to be? And if he is the usual first year QB are we saying that the rest of the team is good enough to make up for it?
Favorable conf. home schedule. Weak Mtn West conf. teams on the road. Good to very good D and a very good O-Line will make up for the Hall deficiencies..
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters and Arch are pessimistic about this season.

I'm shocked.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

byufan3535 says you can't learn anything from history:

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2929117
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For homers who expect a QB to start well, I guess they see only blue. I expect to lose one to two games which an experienced QB would win.

I see no reason for faith in Max Hall, especially after viewing him at the spring game.
Only one or two games in the first eight will we not be the favorites. After 8 games I would hope we won't have to be still talking about the inexperience factor.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Favorable conf. home schedule. Weak Mtn West conf. teams on the road. Good to very good D and a very good O-Line will make up for the Hall deficiencies..
I agree with this. If Max Hall can get past the first couple of games with his body and confidence intact, I think we'll do pretty well after that.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I worry he's going to throw a lot of INT's. Inexperience combined with gunslinger attitude combined with weakish arm. Bronco said we're going to run more. I hope our D is great and Anae puts the clamps on Hall and we come out and play power football with that OL and our big backs.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I worry he's going to throw a lot of INT's. Inexperience combined with gunslinger attitude combined with weakish arm. Bronco said we're going to run more. I hope our D is great and Anae puts the clamps on Hall and we come out and play power football with that OL and our big backs.
jay, i think you have hit the nail on the head with this take. i think byu will win 8-9 games, and that it will be b/c early on the run game is established w/ your plethora of talented backs. this will allow hall to get the jitters out and ultimately his confidence up. then, the real question becomes how good is byu's D... I say a little above average, but not enough to win more than one close game against Arizona, UCLA, TCU, or Utah.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
jay, i think you have hit the nail on the head with this take. i think byu will win 8-9 games, and that it will be b/c early on the run game is established w/ your plethora of talented backs. this will allow hall to get the jitters out and ultimately his confidence up. then, the real question becomes how good is byu's D... I say a little above average, but not enough to win more than one close game against Arizona, UCLA, TCU, or Utah.
Aw c'mon. I will be shocked if we don't we at least two of those games you mention. 3 of the 4 are at home. Let's say we both overrate our own teams. Still, I think BYU wins 2 of the remaining 3. I don't want to debate the Utah game and just realize as a loyal fan you threw the Utes in with them.