cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default I really do hate the hippies at my school

So on our student elections for the SBA at my school they had a measure on there for funding for a program known as the Loan Repament Assistance Program (LRAP). This program is for students who graduate at pursue a career in public interest law. If you make below a certain amount you get money towards paying off your loans.

So the question was first if you would support an increase in tuition for this, and if so how much a semester. Well the yes people won overwhelmingly and the amount was overwhelming for the highest contribution amount of $25 a semester.

I know it is a small amount but this really does upset me. First I hope that I am in no position to have to benefit from this program, I'm hoping to make more then the low end for this. Second I already pay 25K a year in tuition, and I am certainly not for making it more even if it another 50 bucks a year.

The thing is there are a lot of trust funders at my school. It may not mean much to them to add to the money they are paying for education, but for me you better damn well know that it matters. So the trust funders are happy with chipping in some extra money, but I am far from happy for this.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have applied for a similar program, in that the govt., on a competitive basis, will pay for some researchers to have part of their student loans payed off. This is to encourage people to go into research. Well, let me rephrase that, because I don't think anyone chooses research because of this program. It makes it more financially justifiable to go into research.

For example, if you are over 100k in debt after finishing residency, it may not seem palatable to take a research job that pays 48k versus doing a a clinical job that pays 140k.

So I just wanted you to know that there are Hippies in Washington too. And that you are paying for this program.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I am fine with tax dollars going to a program like that, even though my money will be going to it. I'm all for helping education, just not out of my pocket while I am in school and cannot afford it. When I am out of school, I'll be fine with my taxes going towards government programs for higher education.

Thing that irks me is the trust funders at my school could easily have donated if they wanted to support this, instead of voting to increase tuition. I guess my whole point is I hate people at my school with trust funds
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #4
purplmonkeydishwashr

purplmonkeydishwashr

I hate the hippies at your school too. Actually, its more like jealousy than hatred, since they didn't let me in their stupid law school for jerks.
purplmonkeydishwashr is offline   Reply With Quote