cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 AM   #91
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Another on the bright side thingamabob: My last Bishop was called to be Bishop only after being a member for 3 years.

He's Hawaiian. That's diverse.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #92
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Another on the bright side thingamabob: My last Bishop was called to be Bishop only after being a member for 3 years.

He's Hawaiian. That's diverse.
After a mere three years- NO WAY!!! Indy has shown he could not have had the necessary experience to fulfill such a calling.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 AM   #93
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Here is photo of one of your Africans...
http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wol3/goldec2.jpg
Well, I would expect someone to be intelligent enough to look at the names and count the 9 black Africans from the list; which is a subset of the list. Maybe I give the people on this board too much credit.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #94
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Africans is not the same as blacks. Many of the Africans you linked to are white (including the one who was called to the First Quorum). Not sure why you are struggling to grasp this fact.
Many? Count 'em up. 9 of the 11 names listed are black Africans. You really are dense.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 AM   #95
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
After a mere three years- NO WAY!!! Indy has shown he could not have had the necessary experience to fulfill such a calling.
Are you really that mental? Bishop <> General Authority. Get back to me when you find a General Authority sustained in the last 30 years with 3 years or less in the church.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:36 AM   #96
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Here's another way to look at it. How long does it take to make a good general authority? 30 years? So I would expect for the sake of diversity, that the GA's that are called now have no less of a split of blacks or internationals than church membership 30 years ago. For the sake of diversity, it should be a little more than the split would dictate. I don't think that model would suggest there is any problem yet.

When I look at the list of GA's, the problem I have is the overabundance of lawyers and MBA's and...ahem...rich people. I'd like to see some more farmers, high school chemistry teachers, insurance salesmen, accountants who did local folk's taxes not the accountants who consult on mergers...guys who gave their lives to wife and kids and service. Can't we have at least a few of those types?
Would you care to provide the professional breakdown of the GAs by percentage? What about their net worth?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:50 AM   #97
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Are you really that mental? Bishop <> General Authority. Get back to me when you find a General Authority sustained in the last 30 years with 3 years or less in the church.

Thanks in advance.
Is it some sort of ethics violation for an actuary to have a sense of humor? Dang, Cali Coug is a lawyer and he has one.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 AM   #98
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Is it some sort of ethics violation for an actuary to have a sense of humor? Dang, Cali Coug is a lawyer and he has one.
My tax attorney was asked why he became a tax attorney. I responded for him, "he didn't have the personality to become an actuary." Nobody but me appreciated it.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:21 AM   #99
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My tax attorney was asked why he became a tax attorney. I responded for him, "he didn't have the personality to become an actuary." Nobody but me appreciated it.
So I unintentionally stumbled onto something?

Imagine that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:19 PM   #100
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Here's another way to look at it. How long does it take to make a good general authority? 30 years? So I would expect for the sake of diversity, that the GA's that are called now have no less of a split of blacks or internationals than church membership 30 years ago. For the sake of diversity, it should be a little more than the split would dictate. I don't think that model would suggest there is any problem yet.

When I look at the list of GA's, the problem I have is the overabundance of lawyers and MBA's and...ahem...rich people. I'd like to see some more farmers, high school chemistry teachers, insurance salesmen, accountants who did local folk's taxes not the accountants who consult on mergers...guys who gave their lives to wife and kids and service. Can't we have at least a few of those types?
Where do you get the arbitrary number of 30 years to become a good GA? I agree about calling less wealthy individuals, though I believe progress has been made in that area.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote