cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Try to sneak into Fenway and bask in it's ambiance.

Take a photo of the bridge at Chappaquiddick.
Is one supposed to leave one's drunk and passed out secretary there?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:43 AM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

The Duck tour IS Cheesy but it IS fun. Sit up front and the guy will let you drive when you're in the bay. The USS constitution is also well worth the wait to get on, IMO, although I was not so enamored with the diorama for the Battle of Bunker/Breed's hill. Climbing the monument on Bunker/breed hill is fun and gives you a nice view. If you're with little kids the swan boats are fun to ride but if you are alone on a business trip I wouldn't bother. Otherwise follow the Freedom trail and do stop at all the churches and buildigns, etc. The last time we were there happened to be on a Sunday and we went to church services at the Old North Church. The service itself was typical protestant but the setting was very fun and unique. ALso they sometimes have music perfriomances at the various historic churches and those can be nice, especially at night by candlelight. I also reccommend the science and technology museum. Good hands on sort of place. JFK museum is very interesting, althoug it is out of town a ways, as Hoya said, but it is probably more appealing to those of us a little older than you. Finally, the aquairum, IMO, was not that great.

In general, however, stick to the freedom trail and you can't go wrong.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Email response....

Subject: Re: Boston
Oh...the leaves are GORGEOUS. Does he want to travel outside the city at all? Salem is AMAZING in the fall. It's quaint and they have witches and people in time appropo costumes walking around, and they also do witch trial reenactments (that may end in October...not sure). Salem also has Nathaniel Hawthorne's house (which may only be interesting to English majors) but I liked it.

In the city, Fanuel Hall is a lot of fun. It's a bit like an outdoor mall but usually characterized by a variety street performers who are awesome. Boston Common is a cool park and there's a lot of shopping nearby (in case some of his friends are girls...lol). The Freedom Trail starts in Boston Common too. It's about a 2mi walk and it covers Revolutionary War sites and historical houses and churches. It's pretty, but it's also really cold in Boston right now. Speaking of which, I believe you can ice skate on Frog Pond in the Common, but I haven't done it.

As for bars, Cheers, of course, is quality. There's a bar called the Tiki Room outside Fenway Park that has the greatest Scorpion bowls (if his friends are interested). They also have pretty good food. The Italian side of Boston (North End) has the BEST canolies (sp?). If you like Italian food, it's a must. If he likes seafood, there is a chain restaurant called Legal Seafoods. It's soooo good and you can find it all over Boston - even in Logan airport.

Baseball's over *tear* so Fenway Park might be a bust unless he really like baseball and wants to see it anyways. The New England Aquarium is a definite waste of time.

OK, now I've just proved what a nerd I am because most of these are historical or literary....sorry. But I hope this helps!
Ashley
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:49 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is one supposed to leave one's drunk and passed out secretary there?
Only if one wants to get away with it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:02 AM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Email response....

Subject: Re: Boston
Oh...the leaves are GORGEOUS. Does he want to travel outside the city at all? Salem is AMAZING in the fall. It's quaint and they have witches and people in time appropo costumes walking around, and they also do witch trial reenactments (that may end in October...not sure). Salem also has Nathaniel Hawthorne's house (which may only be interesting to English majors) but I liked it.

In the city, Fanuel Hall is a lot of fun. It's a bit like an outdoor mall but usually characterized by a variety street performers who are awesome. Boston Common is a cool park and there's a lot of shopping nearby (in case some of his friends are girls...lol). The Freedom Trail starts in Boston Common too. It's about a 2mi walk and it covers Revolutionary War sites and historical houses and churches. It's pretty, but it's also really cold in Boston right now. Speaking of which, I believe you can ice skate on Frog Pond in the Common, but I haven't done it.

As for bars, Cheers, of course, is quality. There's a bar called the Tiki Room outside Fenway Park that has the greatest Scorpion bowls (if his friends are interested). They also have pretty good food. The Italian side of Boston (North End) has the BEST canolies (sp?). If you like Italian food, it's a must. If he likes seafood, there is a chain restaurant called Legal Seafoods. It's soooo good and you can find it all over Boston - even in Logan airport.

Baseball's over *tear* so Fenway Park might be a bust unless he really like baseball and wants to see it anyways. The New England Aquarium is a definite waste of time.

OK, now I've just proved what a nerd I am because most of these are historical or literary....sorry. But I hope this helps!
Ashley
I forgot about Salem. It is very nice this time of year. About 12 years ago when my oldest was about 6 we visited Salem just before halloween and there werre a number of people in scary costumes (apparently paid by the various witch trial places) wandering around the place. My young son was a bit scared. At a certain point a guy dressed in a costume that combined Dracula and Frankenstien, and who was about 6'7" tall walks up to my son, who literally begins shaking, and says "Can you keep a secret?" My son grimly nods yes and the guy bends way, way down and then says, sotto voce, "this is only a mask, but don't tell the grown-ups." This helped my son and was rather amusing.

In any event, Salem is good and you're not too far from Walden Pond if you're into Thoreau and Concord Bridge is also not toofar and was refurbished not too many years ago and is very interesting. Lots to do around there.