cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 07-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad is 72 years old...and seriously, he is in the best shape of his life. That says a lot because he has always been in relatively good shape. But now, it just blows my mind. He goes for a 3-5 mile walk three times a week, he goes on a 3-4 mile hike twice a week, he plays tennis three days a week and he has a personal trainer that he works out with twice a week. He also plays golf once a week. All of this, while still working 40 hour weeks doing something he loves to do. He is living a good life right now.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

If I ever notice such a drop off, I will let you know.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody else said this, but I'll add this: Prep and recovery time is what changes dramtacially. If I have been inactive for a while and I jump on the bike and pound out 20 miles or more, I will get sore and my muscles will take a while to recover. In my 20s and 30s that was not the case. Now I have to manage my efforts a little more. Of course, I was always a slig so maybe I haven't noticed what I lost bexcasue I never gained it. HArd to say.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
If I ever notice such a drop off, I will let you know.
This has been a very encouraging thread. It seems that we mainly lose what we give away.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend just clued me into this article when I asked the question of him. It's an interesting read. Gives a decade by decade rundown of what to expect.

http://outside.away.com/outside/body...ur_life_1.html

Here's the opening paragraph:

Quote:
THE REST OF YOUR LIFE STARTS NOW. It's true you can shape your destiny. But it will require choosing one of two paths: 1) Muscles turn to flab in your thirties, you get clumsy in your forties, weak in your fifties, and by your sixties you're primed for heart attacks and cancer. At 74, it's sayonara, sucka; you've just hit the average life expectancy for an American male. 2) You're Vincent Carnevale, 86, of Glen Ridge, New Jersey, and you just ran your 500th race—your 500th race since turning 70, that is.
I have to say that the guy in the picture for "your 50's" creeps me out.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 07-09-2007 at 12:07 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 AM   #16
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yes I do. When I finally accepted that I wasn't good enough to continue with baseball, I started golfing and love to play it.

I'm really starting to enjoy cycling. Right now, I only ride three times a week about 20-25 miles each ride, but I feel so much better during the day after an early morning ride that I'm going to start riding 5 times a week at the same mileage. I don't know if I'll ever have the passion for cycling that I did for baseball and like I now have for golf because I see it as a good way to get and remain in shape. Perhaps the more I ride, the more I'll pursue it to the point where I make gains.
where do you usually go 20-25 miles a ride? do you have a route? that's some good miles imo 5 times a week. when did you start?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
where do you usually go 20-25 miles a ride? do you have a route? that's some good miles imo 5 times a week. when did you start?
I ride along the Jordan River Parkway. I start at 6400 South, head north for about 5-6 miles, turn around head back to my starting point and go another 5-6 miles to the south and return. It's a nice easy ride and safe as runners are not jerks like too many motorists are.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #18
Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible

40+% of marathoners are over 40
Mr. Incredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #19
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I ride along the Jordan River Parkway. I start at 6400 South, head north for about 5-6 miles, turn around head back to my starting point and go another 5-6 miles to the south and return. It's a nice easy ride and safe as runners are not jerks like too many motorists are.
The Parkway is great. There is a trailhead about .50 mile from my house in Riverton, at 12400 South. I get on it there and run to 14600 South, it's about a 9 mile round trip. There are also new trails down at the southern most end, which are between .50 - 1.25 miles each, and two other trails that go north from 12400 South, a mile each. It's very nice not worrying about some meathead running you over.

I wish they would connect the whole thing, from North Salt Lake down to Utah Lake, that would be awesome. As it is right now, the 20 mile runs get a little boring, since I have to cover the same stuff twice.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote