cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #31
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
My nike+ says it's 20:15. I have no doubt whatsoever that it's lying. My best is probably in the 21-22 range. I don't really know, because I don't ever run just a 5k. There have been a couple of half marathons when I was really booking it, and probably had a 21-22 minute three miles in there somewhere.

But that would have to be with me on a caffeine buzz, on a downhill course, with the wind at my back, and the temperature in the 40's. :-)

I enjoy running, but I don't necessarily enjoy running fast. It hurts.
dang, I've got to start busting my butt then if I am gonna win this thing

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #32
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I want to do this, but I would need to buy another piece of equipment I don't need.

Geeze. I'm already on a team with Runnercoug's challenge where I'm the only guy running.

Plus I don't get credit for bike miles. Plus I'm old and slow.

Hey I'm running! Are my miles not showing up?!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #33
bYuPride

Quote:
Well none of our guys have reported their miles, or they're not doing anything. I wish to motivate them, because I don't understand entering a running challenge and failing to run. Anybody can do twenty per week.
i only did 4 this week because of work and school, kid, church calling and spending my free time on my bike. now that I'm waking up early ro ride maybe i'll have more time to run.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My nike+ says it's 20:15. I have no doubt whatsoever that it's lying. My best is probably in the 21-22 range. I don't really know, because I don't ever run just a 5k. There have been a couple of half marathons when I was really booking it, and probably had a 21-22 minute three miles in there somewhere.

But that would have to be with me on a caffeine buzz, on a downhill course, with the wind at my back, and the temperature in the 40's. :-)

I enjoy running, but I don't necessarily enjoy running fast. It hurts.
I haven't been running very fast so I joined a running group, where everybody drops me.

We have two guys, with whom no matter what I do, I can't stay with them. I felt better when they completed their 5ks near 17. I wondered how much I had become wussified. It is an odd feeling to try to start your engine only to see the other car just pull away with ease. The cadence on their legs was amazing. Of course some of the women run sub 19s, which embarrasses me to all get out. I get to run with the slow, but cute, women. I can get my heartrate into the 200s with this group.

You are correct, running fast hurts bad. The second mile of the 5K is the key and where I usually lose my pace. I guess my fast days are long gone, not that I ever really had any.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #35
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
i only did 4 this week because of work and school, kid, church calling and spending my free time on my bike. now that I'm waking up early ro ride maybe i'll have more time to run.
You're forgiven.

Venomous Viper ran 75 miles last week. I won't run that much with my biking.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #36
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I assure you...I won't win any speed awards. I didn't start running until I was 32 years old, well past my prime.

Just so I understand how this challenge works, will it pull the fastest 5k from any run, no matter what the length, or do we have to run an exact 5k for it to work? If I run a 22 minute 5k during a 7 mile run, will that count?
It'll pull your best continuous 5k from any run.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #37
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Arch, I want you to take 15 minutes thinking about your latest case and then read the rest of this post. Done? Ok, now you've billed enough money to go out and get yourself a 2 gig nano and the $30 dollar Nike chip. It's chump change for you brother.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #38
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Arch, I want you to take 15 minutes thinking about your latest case and then read the rest of this post. Done? Ok, now you've billed enough money to go out and get yourself a 2 gig nano and the $30 dollar Nike chip. It's chump change for you brother.
how do i get in on this? my nike+ name is bYuPride... somebody needs to take last place right?

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 PM   #39
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is an odd feeling to try to start your engine only to see the other car just pull away with ease. The cadence on their legs was amazing. Of course some of the women run sub 19s, which embarrasses me to all get out.
I don't have a problem knowing there are women that can run faster than me, I say more power to 'em.

I was doing a 14 miler on Saturday, and as I was passing a slower lady that's always out there when I am, she said "I can't understand how you run so fast". About a minute later two women and a guy come smoking past me, had to be doing sub-7's. No matter how fast or slow you think you are, there's always someone faster or slower.

The nice thing is, the number of people that I pass on my runs is much bigger than the number of people who pass me. That's good enough for me.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM   #40
Archaea

Quote:
I don't have a problem knowing there are women that can run faster than me, I say more power to 'em.

I was doing a 14 miler on Saturday, and as I was passing a slower lady that's always out there when I am, she said "I can't understand how you run so fast". About a minute later two women and a guy come smoking past me, had to be doing sub-7's. No matter how fast or slow you think you are, there's always someone faster or slower.

The nice thing is, the number of people that I pass on my runs is much bigger than the number of people who pass me. That's good enough for me.
I never was a great runner, but in college, I could run with anybody but the Ed Eyestones et al. Heck, at the BYU PE class several weeks after my mission I still ran the 1.5 mile under 8 minutes. Not smoking hot, but better than today. I'd be lucky to break 9 minutes if I killed myself. (I'm not certain I could do it right now).

It is just very strange to get older and slower. To lack power where once there was an abundance. Remember when you could slam the softball over the fence, but now it's just a long out. That's how it feels.

Just like in cycling where one drafts off another runner, usually I can pick up quite a bit of speed that way. However, if somebody is so much faster than you, you don't even have the time or power to accelerate to even stay with that runner.