cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iraq this month

I realize causality numbers represent real people, fathers, husbands, brothers and sons. But I think it's worth reporting, and I hope it is reported in the MSM tomorrow, that there will most likely be fewer than 15 US fatalities in Iraq this month - the lowest count of any month during the entire war. I state this with the obvious caveats that five, let alone 15, may be too many, but I see this as good news nonetheless.

http://icasualties.org/oif/USByYear.aspx
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

What would be instructive is the number of casualties as the result of hostile action, as opposed to plane and car crashes and so forth.

Nevertheless, it's a good stat because it means that hostilities are diminishing and that the Iraqis are taking on more of the security responsibility. The end is in sight, even if it isn't tomorrow.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I realize causality numbers represent real people, fathers, husbands, brothers and sons. But I think it's worth reporting, and I hope it is reported in the MSM tomorrow, that there will most likely be fewer than 15 US fatalities in Iraq this month - the lowest count of any month during the entire war. I state this with the obvious caveats that five, let alone 15, may be too many, but I see this as good news nonetheless.

http://icasualties.org/oif/USByYear.aspx
Why would Obama's cheerleaders report anything that could be considered good news in Iraq?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Why would Obama's cheerleaders report anything that could be considered good news in Iraq?
It's definitely a good sign, and the press should do their job and report it as such. 8ball already expressed the obvious that the ones who were killed are not just stats, but real people, and I agree wholeheartedly.

But from the perspective of a wife or parent, how gut wrenching would it be to turn on the news and hear "Good news from Iraq, only 12 killed this month"!
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
It's definitely a good sign, and the press should do their job and report it as such. 8ball already expressed the obvious that the ones who were killed are not just stats, but real people, and I agree wholeheartedly.

But from the perspective of a wife or parent, how gut wrenching would it be to turn on the news and hear "Good news from Iraq, only 12 killed this month"!
Because the good news is that it wasn't more than 12 and because fewer wives and parents are being gutwrenched this month than in the preceding 60 months.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Because the good news is that it wasn't more than 12 and because fewer wives and parents are being gutwrenched this month than in the preceding 60 months.
I know, I get that. I couldn't agree more. But for the mothers of the 12, the good news is the worst news of their lives. I'm just struck by the irony, I guess.

I don't disagree with anything said. It's a good sign and looks like things are looking up.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

it's not popular to report bad news as good news even if bad news is good news. so to speak...
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 AM   #8
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
it's not popular to report bad news as good news even if bad news is good news. so to speak...
It's not popular to report stories which cut against the grain of established narratives –"Iraq in chaos", "pit bulls eat children", "Nobel Peace Prize relevant", etc. Once a media narrative has been set, it takes a lot of momentum to move it; no matter the facts.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post

I agree that for the families of those killed, it is awful news. I'm just saying that the Obama honks in the mainstream media won't report anything that may make their Messiah look like his surrender policy might be wrong.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 AM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

My friend in Mosul lost four guys in his group this month. Roadside bomb.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote