cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #21
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
As for That Sports Fan, we scratched each other's backs. He wanted a team, and we needed one more team member. We're happy to have him. I'm just glad he's in the other car, so I don't have to try and keep up with him.
Ha ha ha. Try to keep up with me. I think you got that the other way around.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #22
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
They would do fine or even better. My wife runs at a 9-10 minute pace right now, but that is 5 months pregnant.

She'll be running a 7:30 by this time next year, and she is very good with hills, so she can have them.
When my wife runs with one of her marathon friends, they do long runs at about 9:30 pace. Last Saturday we did a 5K and she finished just under 8:00 pace. The one time we went running together this winter we did about 10 miles at 8:15 pace.

I'm not sure about hills. If she is anything like me, she stinks at hills and loathes every second she has to fight gravity going up.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Yeah, whatever, Mr. 3:20 marathon.
LOL, you must be thinking of someone else. Seriously, I'm too embarassed to post my Ogden Marathon time. I promise though, if invited on the team, I'll be a sub nine minute miler. Still pathetic, I know.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
LOL, you must be thinking of someone else. Seriously, I'm too embarassed to post my Ogden Marathon time. I promise though, if invited on the team, I'll be a sub nine minute miler. Still pathetic, I know.
It sounds fun, but once you add hills, anybody guaranteeing 7:30s is either damn fast or miscalculating. As far as working it, I like hills. As far as timing it, I hate hills.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #25
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It sounds fun, but once you add hills, anybody guaranteeing 7:30s is either damn fast or miscalculating. As far as working it, I like hills. As far as timing it, I hate hills.
With those hills I would be going 17:30.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #26
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Seriously, I'm too embarassed to post my Ogden Marathon time.
Unless you wussed out and quit without being injured, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Not that I haven't had some race times that I will never divulge, but amongst us weekend warriors, finishing is all that matters.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #27
Runner Coug

Quote:
As far as working it, I like hills. As far as timing it, I hate hills.
Well said. There's nothing like a nice hill to ruin a perfectly good run.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #28
Venkman

Quote:
I'm certainly not guaranteeing 7:30's. Just to average 9's on hills I'd need to really kick it up a notch. My most recent uphill runs were more like 10:30's or so. But I think I could get there.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:01 AM   #29
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Unless you wussed out and quit without being injured, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Not that I haven't had some race times that I will never divulge, but amongst us weekend warriors, finishing is all that matters.
Well I did alot of walking the last 3 or 4 miles, but my pride kicked in the last few blocks as the spectators increased and I managed a weak run/shuffle to the finish. You were right about that little hill at Ogden. Doesn't seem like much, but it really kicked my butt too. The Veyo hill at St. George was longer and steeper but I didn't have a problem with it. Maybe because it was early in the race.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #30
Runner Coug

Quote:
Well I did alot of walking the last 3 or 4 miles, but my pride kicked in the last few blocks as the spectators increased and I managed a weak run/shuffle to the finish. You were right about that little hill at Ogden. Doesn't seem like much, but it really kicked my butt too. The Veyo hill at St. George was longer and steeper but I didn't have a problem with it. Maybe because it was early in the race.
Yeah, that hill is in a terrible place, especially if you start too fast. The one time I ran Ogden I made the mistake of going too fast in the first half. Wound up walking much of the Parkway portion, and ended up with a 3:56.