cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It sounds as if you are sinking your hips, that you might need to raise the hips and lower your head.
I think lowering the head is something that non-swimmers have a real tough time with over distance. They want to breathe and getting the head where it needs to be is awkward.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It sounds as if you are sinking your hips, that you might need to raise the hips and lower your head.
This is the problem that 90% of non-swimmers have. Watch people swim underwater and you'll see the huge difference--even among lap-swimmers.

A good drill is to kick only (head down) while thinking of pressing down on your chest--this will automatically raise your hips. As a checkpoint, you should feel the air on your butt and just the back portion of your head. Stop and look up when you need to breathe, then resume it. You should have the feel of swimming "downhill".
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
A good drill is to kick only (head down) while thinking of pressing down on your chest--this will automatically raise your hips.
This is what I was told several years ago and made a huge difference in my efficiency. Now I am down to a 45 or 50 minute mile instead of a 3 hour mile swimmer/dog paddler. ( I know 50 minutes is still not good, but compared to what I was before its world class)
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

pressing down on your chest, or pressing down with your chest?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
pressing down on your chest, or pressing down with your chest?
with
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Keep your head down and rotate your hips to cut down on the drag. Arch is right about getting a feel for the water and grabbing a lot of water with your stroke. Complete your stroke also, don't short arm it. I worked like hell for three years and the best I could do was a 28 minute mile. Good luck.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the pool yesterday. Didn't get in too much swimming because with kids.

I did practice the crawl. I worked on keeping my chest down. I think that helped a bit.

I watched this:

I don't keep my feet floppy. In fact, I think it is my too-fast kicking that is wearing me out.

Ok, I can swim 25 yards with the crawl. I think I could do the 50yd, but I would be very tired. 75 yards, would be close to death.

My last boyscout swim check I did the breaststroke for about 50yd, then the side stroke for 25yd for the required 75 yd front stroke portion. I would like to be able to do the crawl for 75 yards, and not feel like I am about to die.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote