cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 03-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
fuegote

fuegote
Default Outdoor Running (the question of all questions)

So, at mile 9.77 (.23 miles from finishing my run this morning) I had to stop, do a quick stretch and get to a bathroom as soon as I could. Yes, the inevitable happened again. I had to go twosies.

As I sat there, I reflected on the many distance runners here and decided to ask the question.

I'm not a morning crapper. I try and eat something on my way to the gym to get my bowels awake but sometimes it doesn't work and I have to start working out because I only have so much time.

The one time I ran outside and did a 10 miler, I was 2 miles from my house when the urge hit me (it was 5:30 am and I wasn't close to a gas station).

How do you guys do it? Do you just have sphincter control from the Gods or is there another secret. Please give me guidance as I am 4 weeks away from the Salt Lake half.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine told me that she was doing radio commentary on a local marathon. So she was sitting in the back of the truck watching the guys in the lead in the marathon. They were going through a residential neighborhood, and one of the lead guys suddenly veered into a house's front yard, pulled down his shorts, and did the twosies, and pulled his shorts back up and kept running. All in the matter of seconds. She was speechless.

It's time to decide if you are serious or not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to regulate yourself by changing eating habits.

And it requires you to regulate so that you go about 4:00 am. Unfortunately, certain races require a break despite one's best planning. However, with eating you can regulate that.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

part of your problem is running early in the morning. I don't do that so I wouldn't know about how to remedy that.

For any race that I have done, the nevousness gets me going and I always have to go before the race. It could be a 10 k and I will have the runs before hand.

I do know the feeling you are speaking of and it is not a good one. Being far from home and having it hit you is not good.

Which 1/2 marathon are you doing?
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

Paula's got the onesies thing down in this video. And she won the race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6I2-YP42rs

But seriously, I think you can teach your body to crap before running. Just sit and grunt for a while every time. Pretty soon your body will know that before run is the time to poop. No scientific evidence here, just my experience.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post

Which 1/2 marathon are you doing?
Salt Lake
Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never had that urge hit me strong during a run. The longer the run, the less I have any #2 urges.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Ya I just go to the bathroom no matter what before I run. Sometimes something happens sometimes not. The only time I ever had a problem is when I forgot to go before and it hit me later around the last half mile. Let me tell you I couldn't hold it and my undies were destroyed.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

One early morning Saturday run, the day after I OD on some fresh cherries, I found myself in a desperate predicament. I was running up by the Provo temple through some neighborhoods when it hit. I was right by Timpview High School and I seriously thought I was going to have to leave my mark on someone's lawn when suddenly I noticed the bathrooms by the baseball field. It was like God had put them there just for me at that moment.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
One early morning Saturday run, the day after I OD on some fresh cherries, I found myself in a desperate predicament. I was running up by the Provo temple through some neighborhoods when it hit. I was right by Timpview High School and I seriously thought I was going to have to leave my mark on someone's lawn when suddenly I noticed the bathrooms by the baseball field. It was like God had put them there just for me at that moment.
Hopefully they weren't locked.