cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Last night I'm driving home from work at like 7:00

And I see a group of Latinos working their a's off - doing some landscaping. Working like the day just started. I think to myself, "Do we really want more or less people like this in our country? Illegal or not."

I go back and forth on the immigration question.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
And I see a group of Latinos working their a's off - doing some landscaping. Working like the day just started. I think to myself, "Do we really want more or less people like this in our country? Illegal or not."

I go back and forth on the immigration question.
A couple of weeks ago I was going up 8th N. in Orem. It was on a Sunday. I saw a field full of Latino's out playing soccer. It looked like organized leagues. I thought to myself, do we want people out breaking the Sabbath in Utah County.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I want the US to overhaul their legal immigration process to allow more people to immigrate legally and to make it less difficult and time-consuming to do so.

The handful of Latinos in my branch that have immigrated legally have gone through such hell that I can easily understand why many more don't try to come in legally.

A member from Ecuador had to wait 20 years after his parents and younger siblings came legally to the US before he could get approved (because he wasn't a minor at the time). Once he got in, his three daughters followed a couple of months later but his wife couldn't because of a paperwork foul-up. Now, they have been in the US for a year without their wife/mother.

This is one of many reasons why people don't bother coming legally to the US.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I want the US to overhaul their legal immigration process to allow more people to immigrate legally and to make it less difficult and time-consuming to do so.

The handful of Latinos in my branch that have immigrated legally have gone through such hell that I can easily understand why many more don't try to come in legally.

A member from Ecuador had to wait 20 years after his parents and younger siblings came legally to the US before he could get approved (because he wasn't a minor at the time). Once he got in, his three daughters followed a couple of months later but his wife couldn't because of a paperwork foul-up. Now, they have been in the US for a year without their wife/mother.

Agreed. We want more good, hard-working immigrants, and fewer of these:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_225060735.html
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

While I consider myself a conservative, I don't ally myself with the right wingers or religious right. Much the same as I don't ally myself with the right wingers or religious right at BYU. They think they are so principled that they don't understand the concept of compromise. That sometimes is the problem with people who think God is directing them.

Those on the right who didn't help Bush on the immigration thing I am not too fond of.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was going up 8th N. in Orem. It was on a Sunday. I saw a field full of Latino's out playing soccer. It looked like organized leagues. I thought to myself, do we want people out breaking the Sabbath in Utah County.

lol
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Of course we want more hard working, LAW ABIDING people in our country. I agree with Indy's post, that the entire process of legal immigration needs to be overhauled, so it is not so expensive, and time consuming.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Agreed. We want more good, hard-working immigrants, and fewer of these:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_225060735.html
Are Mexican immigrants more likely to commit murder than peoples born in the USA? That's the only purpose I can think of of your posting this. Cite please.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Are Mexican immigrants more likely to commit murder than peoples born in the USA? That's the only purpose I can think of of your posting this. Cite please.
Sometimes I feel like Cali Coug has hijacked everyone's accounts and just posts under different names. I don't know how any clear-thinking person can read what I wrote and come to that conclusion as the "only purpose" of my post.

I keep looking around waiting for Rod Serling to appear.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Sometimes I feel like Cali Coug has hijacked everyone's accounts and just posts under different names. I don't know how any clear-thinking person can read what I wrote and come to that conclusion as the "only purpose" of my post.

I keep looking around waiting for Rod Serling to appear.
Well, then your link to an article about a Mexican immigrant mass murderer was at best entirely gratuitous and at worst suggestive of Mexican immigrants being more prone to commit mass murder. What if someone posted a link to an article about a black who committed a mass murder (it's hard for me to think of any examples because they usually are white males) and said, "I like blacks who are not like this." Would that be kosher? Tex, either you are unapologetically filled with hate for all but white males or you're just an ignoramus. This exchange is the proof.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote