cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 08-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road
Default Race Report: 5K

Today was my ward's annual 5k race. Its a pretty small 5k but we had a decent turnout from our ward and some of the surrounding wards: about 85 runners total. It was pretty fun race but I didn't run a great time:

26:32

It is a very hilly course so I wasn't that disappointed. I forgot how easy it is to get swept up in the early pace (its been a while since I took a 5k somewhat seriously). I ran the first half mile in about 3:25 which is way too fast. I paid for it later. Its too bad that they didn't have a clydesdale or cruiser division because I would have won that easily (including beating a former BYU linebacker from a few years ago).

Last edited by pelagius; 08-02-2008 at 04:59 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice work P-lag. I always get caught up in the first mile too and usually pay for it at the end. Arch says though that we amateurs usually run better times with that method than trying to save something at the beginning and increasing speed later. That's a good time for a hilly course and I know you're a big dude. Now when are you going to get an iPod and join our challenges?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Nice work P-lag. I always get caught up in the first mile too and usually pay for it at the end. Arch says though that we amateurs usually run better times with that method than trying to save something at the beginning and increasing speed later. That's a good time for a hilly course and I know you're a big dude. Now when are you going to get an iPod and join our challenges?
Ya maybe the fast start didn't hurt me that much by I think it did at least some. If I could have held myself back to around 3:50 I think I would have been in a lot better shape.

The middle two miles of the course were pretty brutal. The peak elevation was at the 1.5 mile mark but the middle two miles are just a series of rolling hills. The course is along the Scioto river here in town so at least its a scenic run. I am tempted to run a 5k on a flat course at the end of August just to see what I can do with a flat course and a better mileage base (I think you would find my mileage base horrifying).

No iPod for me because the iPods don't really play nice with Linux. I guess I could pick up the wristband though. If I become more consistent about running I think I will probably do that.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-02-2008 at 05:11 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

Good run Pelag. I did a 5k this morning too. Mine was even smaller, just me. I had a lot to do this morning so I decided to run a quick 5k. I clocked myself at 22:30 which is better than some races I've run. Sometimes my best workouts come when I am late for something.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Ran in a 5 k race this past week. I think this is the first 5k race I have ever done now that I think of it.

It was happening in conjunction with a conference that I was attending so I decided to run it, by just showing up at the start and running without all that messy registration stuff.

Ran a 19:25. Hit the first mile at 6:05 and thought I was going way too fast, then was 12:25 or so at 2 miles, so I just tried to hold on for dear life and finish it out.

I almost feel somewhat fast. My fastest 5 k ever.

One thing that is dissapointing, my Nike+ calibration is horrible. When I finshed the race, it said that I had only run 2.73 miles. stupid ipod is shortchanging me.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Ran in a 5 k race this past week. I think this is the first 5k race I have ever done now that I think of it.

It was happening in conjunction with a conference that I was attending so I decided to run it, by just showing up at the start and running without all that messy registration stuff.

Ran a 19:25. Hit the first mile at 6:05 and thought I was going way too fast, then was 12:25 or so at 2 miles, so I just tried to hold on for dear life and finish it out.

I almost feel somewhat fast. My fastest 5 k ever.

One thing that is dissapointing, my Nike+ calibration is horrible. When I finshed the race, it said that I had only run 2.73 miles. stupid ipod is shortchanging me.
Nice run piney. I can only dream of going that fast.

Speaking of iPod problems, a buddy and I were doing intervals this morning for our workout. Our target was 6-800m intervals at about 6:45 pace. My iPod was reading what I thought it should, between 6:45 and 7:00 pace. His, on the other hand, was between 30-45 secs slower than mine. I'd be ready to blow up at about .45 miles and he would say something like "Only about a minute to go".

He just calibrated his for the first time this past weekend, but I'm sure it was off. Steelblue and I have taken our iPods on the same run and finished very close to each other. Today, even with intervals, mine finished with nearly the exact same distance that it has for about a year (6.61 miles).
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
SteelBlue

Piney, when you run at a speed much faster than you calibrated at, you get ripped off on distance. I have written to Nike and said that a good feature would be to allow for multiple calibrations (ie a tempo run calibration, a recovery calibration etc...). Their solution is to buy multiple sensors. No thanks.

When you know you are going to be racing you can hit a track the night before and calibrate a 400m at your race pace and it'll give you a decent reading in your race. But if you try to use your training calibration in a race you always get hosed.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Well, I have known it has been off for a while, I just haven't done anything about it.

I know that it is about a tenth of a mile off or so. There is a run from my house that is 2 miles to a bridge and when I get out there it usually reads around 1.85. I think it is more of a function of having moved the sensor to different shoes and they may not be laying where they used to in relation to my foot.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
Well, I have known it has been off for a while, I just haven't done anything about it.

I know that it is about a tenth of a mile off or so. There is a run from my house that is 2 miles to a bridge and when I get out there it usually reads around 1.85. I think it is more of a function of having moved the sensor to different shoes and they may not be laying where they used to in relation to my foot.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with steps per mile. When you calibrate, I think it calculates an average steps/mile for you and when you run faster than that pace, you take fewer steps/mile thus the iPod thinks you haven't reached your mile yet. It's just a theory, but it makes sense to me. I've noticed when I run recovery runs I get too much credit for mileage which would fit with my theory as well.