cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default Why did Whit take the Utah job?

In all seriousness, I have heard a plethora of reasons as to why he took the Utah job. Was it:

a) Money
b) Felt Utah had a better chance of success
c) Didn't want to move his family
d) Loyalty to the players at the U swayed his decision

I realize that it is likely a mix of all of these things, but if you had to pick THE reason why he took the Utah job, which one would it be?
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
In all seriousness, I have heard a plethora of reasons as to why he took the Utah job. Was it:

a) Money

I realize that it is likely a mix of all of these things, but if you had to pick THE reason why he took the Utah job, which one would it be?
Didn't want the headache of coaching BYU? That would be it for me. Unsupportive admin. Lousy AD. Rotating missions. Honor code. Etc.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

a) Money

You asked which reason, when human beings are more complex and in something as complex as a career choice, I would state, "all of the above."
Old 10-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

In Order:

D, A, B, C.

Having coached and recruited most of the players that he would be moving forward with, I can't help but think that loyalty played a huge role in his decision...the fact that one of the first calls he made was to Morgan Scalley helps explain that.

He worked hard to make Utah's D what it was and after having been passed over for Urban Meyer, he had something to prove, and he had invested in the program and saw that they were willing to make an investment in him.

At the time, it appeared that it would be easier to win at Utah. Utah can bring in any coach from anywhere and can recruit second chance players, etc...the pool is not just limited. Plus, I would imagine that the Success of the 04 team would help in recruiting.

I don't think moving his family was that big a deal as he has ties all over the wasatch front.

I think another thing to consider is the Shaddow that Lavell Casts. Kyle would've been a great story...Former player comes back to BYU to ressurect the program, but Lavell Edwards is still the standard of excellence at BYU and always will be. Every coach that coaches at BYU will be compared to Edwards...perhaps he didn't want that pressure.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have to agree with several of the thoughts already mentioned--I think Whitt looked at it and saw several things:

1. Money--much, much better money
2. Program--I think he felt that Hill was a great AD and that he would receive all he needed from the administration while it is a question mark on BYU's side
3. Potential--BYU has had a great history but I think he saw the Honor code and saw that Utah was developing a name and thought he would have a better chance to recruit and keep his recruits than he would at BYU.

I think those three things all added up to Whitt picking Utah.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Bottom line. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I don't buy for a minute the loyalty factor.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Bottom line. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I don't buy for a minute the loyalty factor.
That's because you're a BYU fan. If you put away the blue goggles, you'd see that loyalty was a big part of it.

Yes, money was a huge factor, but the loyalty he felt to the players was just as important. He had been a part of the Ute team for 11 years. He recruited several of the players that were returning. His ties to BYU were long gone - and those ties were as a player and a small period of time as a graduate assistant.

Perhaps the only reason Lavell Edwards ever remained coach at BYU was because as a member of the Church, he felt obliged to stay. Would that be a fair assessment of his 29 years there?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That's because you're a BYU fan. If you put away the blue goggles, you'd see that loyalty was a big part of it.

Yes, money was a huge factor, but the loyalty he felt to the players was just as important. He had been a part of the Ute team for 11 years. He recruited several of the players that were returning. His ties to BYU were long gone - and those ties were as a player and a small period of time as a graduate assistant.

Perhaps the only reason Lavell Edwards ever remained coach at BYU was because as a member of the Church, he felt obliged to stay. Would that be a fair assessment of his 29 years there?
Or maybe perhaps it's because you're a Utah fan?

People forget that KW originally agreed to be BYU's next head coach,,,until Utah came in with a major $$$ offer that he couldn't refuse.

I for one, am glad he took the money.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

a) Money

I think all of those are valid except B. Also throw in the crazy environment BYU was in with HC scandals and lack of strong AD leadership.

Now the your item B. If you define success as successful in meeting expectations, then maybe he has better shot at U--but in the short term expectations are out of whack due to UM's success. The guy that followed Dennis Erickson at Wyoming was similar in that regard. If you define success at BYU as something other then W/L, as in righteousness, then I can see that scaring someone away. If you're just talking about where you can win more games long term, only an idiot would choose the U.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:16 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I think all of those are valid except B. Also throw in the crazy environment BYU was in with HC scandals and lack of strong AD leadership.

Now the your item B. If you define success as successful in meeting expectations, then maybe he has better shot at U--but in the short term expectations are out of whack due to UM's success. The guy that followed Dennis Erickson at Wyoming was similar in that regard. If you define success at BYU as something other then W/L, as in righteousness, then I can see that scaring someone away. If you're just talking about where you can win more games long term, only an idiot would choose the U.
Yawn.

It really is difficult for you to accept that Utah and BYU are now on equal ground, isn't it? Why?

The fact of the matter is that it benefits both teams if both are good. Only an idiot would disagree.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote