cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road
Default Plaisted shooting 63% from line last 8 games

Worst-shooting stretch during the last 8 games was a 3-7 effort at CSU.

I'd like to see that number climb to about 70%, but he's definitely been shooting better recently.

If it weren't for the 13-game stretch from Michigan State until the game At AF, during which he shot 39.3% from the charity stripe, he'd be at 66% for the year.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

He has also scored 20 or more in 5 of his last 7 games.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Spaz

Mentioned in an interview w/ PK this morning that he wants to work on his rebounding...he's not happy with the way he's been hitting the boards recently.

Overall, I think he gets far more crap than he deserves from BYU fans.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Plaisted's problem is that fans' expectations are based on the hyperbole started by a few that he was a lottery pick (even though no NBA scout or service has projected him any higher than a low first round pick) and then they are upset when he fails to live up to lottery-pick standards.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Plaisted's problem is that fans' expectations are based on the hyperbole started by a few that he was a lottery pick (even though no NBA scout or service has projected him any higher than a low first round pick) and then they are upset when he fails to live up to lottery-pick standards.
When he was a freshman he was a raw talent. Problem is that when he was a sophomore and a junior, he was still a raw talent. He has improved, I will grant you, but not to the level that fans were hoping.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
When he was a freshman he was a raw talent. Problem is that when he was a sophomore and a junior, he was still a raw talent. He has improved, I will grant you, but not to the level that fans were hoping.
Trent is a great athlete. He is also a marginal basketball player. Put it together in the MWC and you have a solid all conference performer. His skills will most likely never catch up to his athleticism. However, he has improved significantly IMO. Part of what stunted his development was Keena Young's great year. Where he is offensively this year is where he should have been as a sophmore. The best news is I am convinced he will be back next year and if BYU can find a good JC wing player, they are a legitimate threat to make the sweet 16 next year.

For hitting those free throws I will choose to remember him fondly like I do Jake Schoff.

Now Lee Cummard, that dude is a flat out play-motherfreaking-UH!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Trent is a great athlete. He is also a marginal basketball player. Put it together in the MWC and you have a solid all conference performer. His skills will most likely never catch up to his athleticism. However, he has improved significantly IMO. Part of what stunted his development was Keena Young's great year. Where he is offensively this year is where he should have been as a sophmore. The best news is I am convinced he will be back next year and if BYU can find a good JC wing player, they are a legitimate threat to make the sweet 16 next year.

For hitting those free throws I will choose to remember him fondly like I do Jake Schoff.

Now Lee Cummard, that dude is a flat out play-motherfreaking-UH!
Marginal in terms of distinct interest from Pro Scouts, a likely 1st-or-2nd round NBA draft selection, and low likelihood of actually performing respectably in the NBA for an extended period of time...

I agree he'd be better this year if he'd gotten some of the Keena touches last year.

Honestly, the only thing I want to see from him is more consistency in his shooting form. If he can stop throwing prayers at the hoop, and more consistently use good shooting form, he will really start to dominate and REALLY improve his draft potential.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Marginal in terms of distinct interest from Pro Scouts, a likely 1st-or-2nd round NBA draft selection, and low likelihood of actually performing respectably in the NBA for an extended period of time...

I agree he'd be better this year if he'd gotten some of the Keena touches last year.

Honestly, the only thing I want to see from him is more consistency in his shooting form. If he can stop throwing prayers at the hoop, and more consistently use good shooting form, he will really start to dominate and REALLY improve his draft potential.
If Trent's improvement curve stays the same for next year, I forsee him getting drafted in the second round and perhaps never making an actual NBA roster game roster. He could bounce around a while but most of his actual games played will be in Europe. He will make a pretty comfortable living as a foreign player, he is a next tier talent.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

17th in 2009 draft: here

46th in 2008 draft: here

I think Plaisted as a 2nd round pick would be reasonable.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote