cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are we talking about the same games?

Quote:
“You go back and look at the film, it’s one or two plays that change the entire game,” So’oto said. “Someone catches a ball, someone makes a tackle, someone fills a gap, our record is different.”
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...coach.html.csp

Umm, Vic, it hasn't been that close. I know. I watched the games.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Yz1

Yz1 is on a distinguished road

i think Utah State would have been very different if BYU just converted the third down on the opening drive and the third/fourth down early in the second quarter.
Yz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm sorry, 31-3 is not luck or chance, or a play or two. It's called an ass-kicking.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yz1 View Post
i think Utah State would have been very different if BYU just converted the third down on the opening drive and the third/fourth down early in the second quarter.
So just to be clear, in order for BYU to win, you are reversing the plays that went against BYU only, right? Meanwhile USU's failed third down conversion attempts would remain unchanged, and the last-second TD that was scored against USU's second string would also have still counted, right? Additionally, there would have been a domino effect in place, correct? Where, for example, if BYU had managed a first half TD, USU would have responded by folding like a Jaime Hill coached defense, right?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Hehe, Utes pay closer attention to BYU games than they do their own.

[yes, this is the kind of smack I have been reduced to]
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...coach.html.csp

Umm, Vic, it hasn't been that close. I know. I watched the games.
You're right. It's total nonsense. But I think it's the mentality that players need to get them through a whole season of getting your butt kicked.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Yz1

Yz1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
So just to be clear, in order for BYU to win, you are reversing the plays that went against BYU only, right? Meanwhile USU's failed third down conversion attempts would remain unchanged, and the last-second TD that was scored against USU's second string would also have still counted, right? Additionally, there would have been a domino effect in place, correct? Where, for example, if BYU had managed a first half TD, USU would have responded by folding like a Jaime Hill coached defense, right?
Not sure where that came from. I am saying I agree with So'oto, at least for the Utah State game, and those are the two plays I would change. Football is almost as much mental as it is physical. The mental effect that converting those thrid downs and scoring, even if it was just field goals, cannot be underestimated. That has been my experience.

Anyways, you are completely right, for BYU to win the plays that went against BYU have to be reversed, as well as the plays that favored Utah State. That is common sense and true for any game, if the losing team was going to win.

I don't know how Utah State would have reacted, but I know they would have played differently in a 10-6 game, knowing that BYU was able to drive and score on them and with just one play BYU could take the lead, as they would a 10-0 game where everything was going their way.

Just look at the Stanford-Oregon game. What if Oregon does not recover the onsides kick? Do you really think Oregon goes on to win 52-31?

Last edited by Yz1; 10-07-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Yz1 is offline   Reply With Quote