cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Tony Snow

Rush said he was going to Snow's funeral tomorrow and mentioned that their is a fund to donate to for his kids education. Also I had heard that Snow left the White House to raise money for his family before he passed away. How does someone like Snow not have his family set up in case something like this happened?

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Rush said he was going to Snow's funeral tomorrow and mentioned that their is a fund to donate to for his kids education. Also I had heard that Snow left the White House to raise money for his family before he passed away. How does someone like Snow not have his family set up in case something like this happened?
Do you know how much Harvard costs these days?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

Harvard estimates 50k per year.

A lot of kids take 5 years to graduate.

That's 250k per kid in today's dollars.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Doesn't Harvard charge on a per need basis? Also if TS was paying into the SS system his kids should be pulling in around a $1000 a month for school. That should get them through a nice state school.

Talking of WH press secretaries Dana Perino gives me a special feeling inside.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

From the Tony Snow Family Trust:

Quote:
Randy Evans, the grantor of the Trust, stated that, "Serving our country at times means sacrifice. Tony did just that. At a time when he was at the pinnacle of his career at FOX News, he was asked to serve his country and he gave up the financial rewards his future held. Having served his country well, Tony left the White House to earn money to help secure his children's future. Unfortunately, fighting cancer did not give him much time to do that, and so, the purpose of this Trust is to help achieve Tony's goal of securing his children's future including their college educations."
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...1%7D&dist=hppr

Tony made 168k as Press Secretary.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ah yes, here is the article detailing Tony's financial dereliction:

http://www.slate.com/id/2173288/nav/tap3/
Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Ah yes, here is the article detailing Tony's financial dereliction:

http://www.slate.com/id/2173288/nav/tap3/
That's sad. I'm amazed when seemingly smart people make dumb decisions. I guess his cancer prevented him from getting life insurance? He didn't have any before being diagnosed? He didn't think to take advantage of the 401k?

I thought similar things when all those stock brokers died in 9/11. People kept talking about how the government should compensate the spouses for the loss in income. These people were probably making five times as much as me and they didn't bother to get life insurance and/or put something away? Maybe I'm wrong on this.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
That's sad. I'm amazed when seemingly smart people make dumb decisions. I guess his cancer prevented him from getting life insurance? He didn't have any before being diagnosed? He didn't think to take advantage of the 401k?

I thought similar things when all those stock brokers died in 9/11. People kept talking about how the government should compensate the spouses for the loss in income. These people were probably making five times as much as me and they didn't bother to get life insurance and/or put something away? Maybe I'm wrong on this.
I think you're right on this; but you can't shell out $ to families of the secretaries, janitors, and associates who died, but not to the partners, etc.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote