cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Rickomatic

Rickomatic
Default Priesthood Political Discussion

For some strange reason this past Sunday our priesthood discussion turned political. I was my usual sit in the back and not say any thing, but this discussion really got to me. I could not believe that so many of the quorum members really believed that this war in Iraq was part of 'God's Plan' to open the Middle East to missionary service. Am I so far out of it to think that the Iraqi war is hurting the potential for the placement of missionaries in the area?

It was also brought up that the Republican Party was the party of the church. When did the church decide to endorse one party over the other? I guess I missed that sacrament meeting.
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
fuegote

fuegote

As far as the repubs being the party of the church....that's out right laughable (and I'm a conservative). That kind of discussion should not have occured in Elder's Quorom.

as far as opening up the Middle East. Again that's personal thoughts, not church backing.

My thoughts: as long as the Islamic Curtain controlled the Middle Eastern countries, there would be no chance in hell that the church would have missionaries there.

Set up a democracy....and you're one step closer. Just my .02.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
My thoughts: as long as the Islamic Curtain controlled the Middle Eastern countries, there would be no chance in hell that the church would have missionaries there.

two steps closer to having prophets shot, killed and left in the street for days.

:wink:
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
two steps closer to having prophets shot, killed and left in the street for days.

:wink:
well, there have to be white guys in suits there some how
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
As far as the repubs being the party of the church....that's out right laughable (and I'm a conservative). That kind of discussion should not have occured in Elder's Quorom.

as far as opening up the Middle East. Again that's personal thoughts, not church backing.

The one thing I should note. This was in the High Priests quorum, not Elders.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:37 PM   #6
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic
Quote:

can we really knock anything old balls say?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
why can't politics be left out of a church conversation. We don't allow parties to discuss politics from our churches, neither should in our classes. Wow. Sorry man.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

I felt like I was having one of those outer body experiences. I think my opinions are very main stream, but listening to these men really put me back. I do not believe that George W. is listening to any divine whispering. That is the prophet who does that. And just because we have a temple in Hong Kong does not make China open to us. (Again part of the conversation from Sunday)
Old 12-20-2005, 04:45 PM   #9
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Priesthood Political Discussion

Quote:
I could not believe that so many of the quorum members really believed that this war in Iraq was part of 'God's Plan' to open the Middle East to missionary service.
They are correct, but probably not in the way they think. God uses all things as part of his plan, the wicked do his will.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:53 AM   #10
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Priesthood Political Discussion

Quote:
It was also brought up that the Republican Party was the party of the church. When did the church decide to endorse one party over the other? I guess I missed that sacrament meeting.
Being subjected to such is one of the prices we pay for depending on a lay ministry and opening the pulpit up to members of the congregation each week. If only this were the worst example.

It's not perfect, but the overall end product is one of which we can be proud.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote