cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Age of consent

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...-is-too-young/

I bring this up because of the Fannie Alger issue.

There are apparently varying societal attitudes towards what the age of consent should be.

13 seems awfully young to my American sensibility.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Valentinus1

Valentinus1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...-is-too-young/

I bring this up because of the Fannie Alger issue.

There are apparently varying societal attitudes towards what the age of consent should be.

13 seems awfully young to my American sensibility.
Mike,

Who is Fannie Alger? I'm unfamiliar with her. Is she in LDS history? What are the circumstances of her story.

Thanks.

-Teresa Moreno
Professor of Christian History and Ethics
Valentinus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Fannie Alger is a mortage company that got bailed out by the government.

Now, move along here. Nothing to see. No more questions.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinus1 View Post
Mike,

Who is Fannie Alger? I'm unfamiliar with her. Is she in LDS history? What are the circumstances of her story.

Thanks.
Her details can be found in a few histories written in the last two decades, but she was an early young, plural wife of JS. People remember her mostly because of her name and her age, which really has not been completely verified, but was about 16 (I've heard other ages as well). I don't remember how old JS would have been, late twenties or early thirties perhaps. [if my memory is incorrect, apologies]. Todd Compton wrote a book about JS's plural wives and there's a website, accuracy unknown to me, purporting to list the wives and minimal information about them. Many of his wives appeared to have been dynastic, i.e., not real wives but symbolic marriages. Others marriages appear to have been consummated.

Last edited by Archaea; 10-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Her details can be found in a few histories written in the last two decades, but she was an early young, plural wife of JS. People remember her mostly because of her name and her age, which really has not been completely verified, but was about 16 (I've heard other ages as well). I don't remember how old JS would have been, late twenties or early thirties perhaps. [if my memory is incorrect, apologies]. Todd Compton wrote a book about JS's plural wives and there's a website, accuracy unknown to me, purporting to list the wives and minimal information about them. Many of his wives appeared to have been dynastic, i.e., not real wives but symbolic marriages. Others marriages appear to have been consummated.
Interesting. I can understand why the anti-Mos would use something like this against the LDS. But if the story isn't completely clear, then there is no use for argumentation on either side. This is a "We just don't know" situation.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Valentinus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
Fannie Alger is a mortage company that got bailed out by the government.

Now, move along here. Nothing to see. No more questions.
Nice.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Interesting. I can understand why the anti-Mos would use something like this against the LDS. But if the story isn't completely clear, then there is no use for argumentation on either side. This is a "We just don't know" situation.
Antagonists love the story, and orthodox pretend to be ignorant of her existence.

The truth is probably more interesting and less exotic. Plural marriage was probably about many things, symbols, trying to look like ancient prophets, as well as normal human impulses. It's a complex story filled with human interest and probably misuse.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Valentinus1

Quote:
Antagonists love the story, and orthodox pretend to be ignorant of her existence.

The truth is probably more interesting and less exotic. Plural marriage was probably about many things, symbols, trying to look like ancient prophets, as well as normal human impulses. It's a complex story filled with human interest and probably misuse.
With this type of story, I would bet there has been much self-serving exaggeration.

-Teresa Moreno
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
With this type of story, I would bet there has been much self-serving exaggeration.
Just the name alone creates lots of "hah-hahs" and accusations that JS was a womanizer.

There are some strange difficult to substantiate stories related to her and she died with another husband not having moved with the main body of the Church. But she also didn't appear to have been overly negative toward the Church either. From what little is related about her, I certainly have compassion for her, because her father basically wanted her to be JS's wife, as I understood it, considering it to be some sort of honor. However she was reputed to have been quite good-looking as well. Emma didn't really like her that much, if the stories are to be believed. Because this occurred when the leaders purposefully obscured that they were practicing plural marriage, it is difficult to gain a clear picture as to the true nature of the events. There is a huge amount of "we just don't know and will never know" about this story.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
Valentinus1

Quote:
Just the name alone creates lots of "hah-hahs" and accusations that JS was a womanizer.

There are some strange difficult to substantiate stories related to her and she died with another husband not having moved with the main body of the Church. But she also didn't appear to have been overly negative toward the Church either. From what little is related about her, I certainly have compassion for her, because her father basically wanted her to be JS's wife, as I understood it, considering it to be some sort of honor. However she was reputed to have been quite good-looking as well. Emma didn't really like her that much, if the stories are to be believed. Because this occurred when the leaders purposefully obscured that they were practicing plural marriage, it is difficult to gain a clear picture as to the true nature of the events. There is a huge amount of "we just don't know and will never know" about this story.
I'm sure it is an interesting read. I will have to add it to my list. I did pick up some LDS books this weekend. I bought Jesus the Christ by Talmage, my brother recommended it. I also picked up The Infinite Atonement by Callister, my sister-in-law recommended it.

Are you familiar with either?

-Teresa Moreno