cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Philip Pullman is a hard core and belligerent atheist, and he thinks religion poisons everything. He actually was a forerunner of Hitchins, Dawkins, etc. He is corrpupting your children with atheist philosophies. He also has explicit contempt for C.S. Lewis, saying his stories are bland, his writing is bad, and Lewis is sexist.
From what I gathered from Pullman's books is that a lot of his hate is directed at Catholicism. Do you know if he has an antagonistic history with the church?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
From what I gathered from Pullman's books is that a lot of his hate is directed at Catholicism. Do you know if he has an antagonistic history with the church?
No, if you pressed him he would express no less contempt for the Mormon, what have you religion. I'm sure he'd dislike indiginously American variants of Protestantism most of all. Here is a fabulous article on Pullman:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200.../051226fa_fact

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Philip Pullman is a hard core and belligerent atheist, and he thinks religion poisons everything. He actually was a forerunner of Hitchins, Dawkins, etc. He is corrpupting your children with atheist philosophies. He also has explicit contempt for C.S. Lewis, saying his stories are bland, his writing is bad, and Lewis is sexist.
His atheism comes through in the books. This not why they are good, it is just an aspect fo the story. Thank you for the concern for my children, however. My 9 year old actually likes Pullman's books more than Narnia.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
His atheism comes through in the books. This not why they are good, it is just an aspect fo the story. Thank you for the concern for my children, however. My 9 year old actually likes Pullman's books more than Narnia.
I admit I share Cat's concern regarding the books. I'd be uncomfortable if my 9-year old was reading them... they're pretty pointedly anti-God. God is a liar, a betrayer and cruel. Those fighting him are the heroes of the series.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #15
creekster

Quote:
I admit I share Cat's concern regarding the books. I'd be uncomfortable if my 9-year old was reading them... they're pretty pointedly anti-God. God is a liar, a betrayer and cruel. Those fighting him are the heroes of the series.
A valid point, perhaps, although I think you are overstating the positions taken in the books. He also read Narnia, FWIW, and reads the scritpures, so hopefully we'll muddle through.

ALso, for anyone looking for the books, the set is called His Dark Materials, I believe, by Phillip Pullman.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Hey, there, Flash likes all these books/films and I wouldn't go so far as to...

From what you've told us, I'm guessing that Flash is a good guy. Everyone has flaws - some are just more glaring than others.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
A valid point, perhaps, although I think you are overstating the positions taken in the books. \
I'd recommend reading them to get a clear grasp on the positions yourself. I feel my understanding is accurate.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #18
creekster

Quote:
I'd recommend reading them to get a clear grasp on the positions yourself. I feel my understanding is accurate.
Well, does listening count? I will admit I haven't read the third, but my wife has and I assure you, she would qualify as a 'mullah' around here. In fact, I have come to rather trust her with raising our kids. Thanks for the input, though. Maybe you and Santos can get together and do a parenting manual or something?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Well, does listening count? I will admit I haven't read the third, but my wife has and I assure you, she would qualify as a 'mullah' around here. In fact, I have come to rather trust her with raising our kids. Thanks for the input, though. Maybe you and Santos can get together and do a parenting manual or something?
I'm sorry, I don't intend to tell you how to parent. I'm just giving my opinions.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #20
creekster

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't intend to tell you how to parent. I'm just giving my opinions.
I gathered. My point is that I did listen to the first and second books (books on CD, as I mentioned in the thread) so I feel like I have a pretty good idea about the books.

I don't find the books threatening nor do I find them unacceptable. In fact, and this is sincere and not meant as a sarcastic comment at all, I think anyone's kids are much better off reading this sort of book and discussing it with a parent, as my 9 year old did, than they are watching the Disney channel for a couple of hours. Seriously, I am more disturbed at how twisted some of the Disney channel stuff is in terms of how a family works, what is acceptable behavior for children, especially as they interact with adults and authority figures, and the value they place on important aspects of growing up, such as education and maturity. Now I can certainly appreciate that you might have a different view, and for YOUR 9 year old His Dark Materials might not be appropriate. For mine, however, I think they work out fine and are a good jumping off point for a lot of discussions about alot of topics such as faith, death, the spirit, symbolism, etc. To each his own.