cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The Golden Compass

Saw the trailer for this the other day and was vaguely intrigued. Found out that it's the first book in a trilogy and that my wife had started them a few years ago but never finished.

I just finished the trilogy last night. I'd definitely say it's the "Anti-Narnia"... geared towards young adults, talking animals, fantasy mixed with reality, and religion. Thing is, the author is out and out against God and especially the Catholic church.

Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with the books and what they think.

EDIT: Doh, it's the Golden Compass. Not sure where the Dark came from.

Last edited by JohnnyLingo; 06-11-2007 at 05:47 PM.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Saw the trailer for this the other day and was vaguely intrigued. Found out that it's the first book in a trilogy and that my wife had started them a few years ago but never finished.

I just finished the trilogy last night. I'd definitely say it's the "Anti-Narnia"... geared towards young adults, talking animals, fantasy mixed with reality, and religion. Thing is, the author is out and out against God and especially the Catholic church.

I wonder if the LOTR, Narnia, Harry Potter group is starting to fade a little bit.

All movie types go through cycles. It seems like the Goldan Compass is coming in on the end of that run where everyone is kind of saying..."really? another trilogy?"

I'm sure it'll have an audience...but I just wonder if the fantasy overload is going to start driving people away from some of these movies.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

How old are you again?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
I wonder if the LOTR, Narnia, Harry Potter group is starting to fade a little bit.

All movie types go through cycles. It seems like the Goldan Compass is coming in on the end of that run where everyone is kind of saying..."really? another trilogy?"

I'm sure it'll have an audience...but I just wonder if the fantasy overload is going to start driving people away from some of these movies.
It's never stopped Trekkies from enjoying all 54 movies. As long as there are ubergeeks in the world, there will be movies to entertain them.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
How old are you again?
24. I also like The Fairly Odd Parents on Nickelodeon and eating popsicles.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
24. I also like The Fairly Odd Parents on Nickelodeon and eating popsicles.
that explains so much.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
As long as there are ubergeeks in the world, there will be movies to entertain them.
Hey, there, Flash likes all these books/films and I wouldn't go so far as to...

well, anyway, JL, I'm pretty sure Flash read The Golden Compass because I remember him suggesting that I read it, but I never got around to it.

I didn't realize it was coming out in cinema.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
JohnnyLingo

I'm actually more interested in discussing the theological ideas contained in the books... not the fantasy angle.

Maybe I should have put this in Religion.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

We rented this trilogy on books on CD for a car trip a year or so ago and found the first book riveting. It is by Phillip Pullman (I think) and is very well written and explores many interesting ideas. We only finsihed the first book on CD but my wife and 9 year old read the other two (my 9 year old read the third one on his own, not wanting to wait for the nighttime readings with my wife). These books are very good and spawned a very successful play that has run in London. Not sure how it will work as a movie, however, but it is a good read.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
We rented this trilogy on books on CD for a car trip a year or so ago and found the first book riveting. It is by Phillip Pullman (I think) and is very well written and explores many interesting ideas. We only finsihed the first book on CD but my wife and 9 year old read the other two (my 9 year old read the third one on his own, not wanting to wait for the nighttime readings with my wife). These books are very good and spawned a very successful play that has run in London. Not sure how it will work as a movie, however, but it is a good read.
Philip Pullman is a hard core and belligerent atheist, and he thinks religion poisons everything. He actually was a forerunner of Hitchins, Dawkins, etc. He is corrpupting your children with atheist philosophies. He also has explicit contempt for C.S. Lewis, saying his stories are bland, his writing is bad, and Lewis is sexist.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote