cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #41
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
The Usual Suspects
Excellent! It's about time somebody else put this movie on their list. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 AM   #42
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

r.f.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In no particular order:

Apocalypse Now
Crimes and Midemeanors
Saving Private Ryan
The Godfather
The Deer Hunter
I'd definitely have to put Downfall in this list. I'm not sure where but it's better than any of them.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:55 AM   #44
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'd definitely have to put Downfall in this list. I'm not sure where but it's better than any of them.
Why "The Deer Hunter"? Seriously. I find that movie very overrated. And its most famous scenes aren't historically valid.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #45
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Why "The Deer Hunter"? Seriously. I find that movie very overrated. And its most famous scenes aren't historically valid.
The one scene I really like is the final one - when he chases the buck, drop his site on him, but then let's him go. But even this scene kills me. They're supposed to be from PA...but there is Robert De Niro, back home in PA, hunting deer with glaciers from the North Cascades in the background. Giant glaciers in PA???
Old 08-10-2008, 04:38 AM   #46
SeattleUte

Quote:
Not historically valid? How do you know no Viet Cong made GI's play Russian Roulette and that whackos didn't play it for sport in the cities? Sounds plausible to me. I don't really care, anyway. It's a great premise.

But after all these years I should probably see Deer Hunter again, because when I last saw Apocalypse Now I was left less impressed than I used to be. I did watch the extended version, however, and I have to say cutting those scenes was a good thing. I wouldn't waste my time with the extended version of AN again.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-10-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #47
SeattleUte

Quote:
Giant glaciers in PA???
You have no imagination. It was all symbolic. Post modernism at its best, like horses and chariots in the Book of Mormon.

—Paul Auster
Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #48
8ballrollin

Quote:
Not historically valid? How do you know no Viet Cong made GI's play Russian Roulette and that whackos didn't play it for sport in the cities? Sounds plausible to me. I don't really care, anyway. It's a great premise.

But after all these years I should probably see Deer Hunter again, because when I last saw Apocalypse Now I was left less impressed than I used to be. I did watch the extended version, however, and I have to say cutting those scenes was a good thing. I wouldn't waste my time with the extended version of AN again.

You know more about early 20th century Russia than I do. But it is probable Russian Roulette didn't even originate in Russia, or at least not as it's described in popular culture. There is no reference to it in any prominent Russian lit or memoirs. It is a creation fiction novels.

There are no documented cases Russian Roulette among US POWs in Vietnam. Not that they were not tortured. There is no doubt POWs were tortured.

A sub-note: It may be semi-racists to consider Vietnamese such gambling addicts they'd support RR as a gaming activity, even in the underworld. Remember the movie portrayed it as activity that extended beyond the VC. Other cultures' brutal gambling games have survived modernization, even as they become marginalized, but there are no modern references to any, even semi-organized, RR rings in Vietnam.

One night after watching TDH I searched and read a bunch about RR, and RR in the Vietnam War - to see what was up. After some searching, I found how it's portrayed in the movie is a bunch of crap. I don't mean to challenge your faith in TDH, it may be successful fiction and mythology, but it's not based in fact. I'm just letting you know what my research has uncovered. I'm here to try to help people. That should be clear.

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 08-10-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #49
8ballrollin

Quote:
On AN, I agree. It doesn't seem as good now, compared to what I thought of it as a teenager. But like Star Wars it's become engrained into popular culture. Lines from the movie are constantly referenced. You could say it was Casablanca of the 70s.

If you haven't seen "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse", you should. It may be better than the original movie.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #50
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

For me right now, the best film ever made is Rashomon, and there aren't four other films worth mentioning.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote