cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 AM   #11
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I'm lucky because Mike also likes the Austen movies and will watch them with me.

I'll watch an action/guy type movie if there's some substance to it (heck, I even like some of them)-- or some other redeeming value. For instance, I didn't think Old School was funny, but I couldn't help laughing at Talladega Nights the other day.

I will say that graphic violence disturbs me, and I don't like movies that have a lot of it. The exception would be certain war movies/series, like Band of Brothers, which was excellent.

You want to talk about lack of substance? Why does a guy always laugh at seeing another guy get kicked/hit in the crotch? No matter how often it happens, it's always funny. That's what I don't get.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I guess I'm lucky because Mike also likes the Austen movies and will watch them with me.

I'll watch an action/guy type movie if there's some substance to it (heck, I even like some of them)-- or some other redeeming value. For instance, I didn't think Old School was funny, but I couldn't help laughing at Talladega Nights the other day.

I will say that graphic violence disturbs me, and I don't like movies that have a lot of it. The exception would be certain war movies/series, like Band of Brothers, which was excellent.

You want to talk about lack of substance? Why does a guy always laugh at seeing another guy get kicked/hit in the crotch? No matter how often it happens, it's always funny. That's what I don't get.
My reaction is ouch, don't show that again.

If it's weird and disjointed, I like it. If it's action, yeah baby. If it's humorous, usually no. If it's dark and psychotic, so much the better. A chick that just masturbates the emotions is not for me. Epics are great and foreign films don't automatically disappoint me.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 AM   #13
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I laughed just reading your last sentence. I don't know why but it is funny. Maybe from an evolutionary biology standpoint there is satisfaction in seeing a competitor possibly be put out of competition.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:37 AM   #14
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'll watch an action/guy type movie if there's some substance to it (heck, I even like some of them)-- or some other redeeming value.
this is the problem I have with jason's movies. The plot and writing and everything are just so bad. And the sad thing is, usually if they try to throw anything like character development in, it only makes matters worse.

I like to watch all the Oscar nominees every year, and I can't remember the last one he sat through with me. But he *is* really good about watching the occasional silly romantic fluff with me.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:06 AM   #15
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I make Jason watch every John Cusak film with me,
John Cusack films for me begin and end with Better Off Dead.

I have yet to something else of his that kept my attention beyond the opening credits.

Oh, and for whoever said it, Princess Bride is not a chick flick, despite what the kid's Uncle says in his narrative about love, romance, blah, blah, blah...

Its all about Innigo Montoyo, Iocaine, and Andre the Giant. Really, get a clue.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 AM   #16
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

I have yet to something else of his that kept my attention beyond the opening credits.

Oh, and for whoever said it, Princess Bride is not a chick flick, despite what the kid's Uncle says in his narrative about love, romance, blah, blah, blah...

What about Gross Pointe Blank? I liked that one a lot.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #17
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Gross Pointe was awesome. Pride and Prejudice is one that I would never watch until the wife forced me and I actually enjoyed it except for there not being enough nudity or f-bombs.

I will admit it, I am a metrosexual...I enjoyed 'Notting Hill.'
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post

You are missing out on two very good movies. Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity are both very good movies. Other than that you could wipe John Cusack off the planet and I would not care. I guess the movie High Fidelity could count as the chick flick that I love. I think that some could claim that Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind is a chick flick because it is a love story, and IMO the best one that I have seen.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:20 AM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

lol..I was totally kidding about the homo remakr Meanie.

In the spirit of full disclosure from time to time I've been known to like a good romance.

Notting Hill was very well done.

The Notebook *DISCLOSURE* -- It reminded me a lot of my Grandma and Grandpa. She had very aggressive Alzheimers in the late 70's and through the mid 80's before she finally passed away and My Grandpa took care of her by reading to her a lot and doing a lot of the same things the older characters in that story did. So yes....even the oft harshly worded opinionator RockyBalboa does have a soft side.

I even admitted to liking Hitch because Kevin James character killed me. He was funny in that.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
I'm watching Pride and Prejudice with Mrs. Meanie right now (the A&E edition which is widely considered to be the best edition ever made).

At the risk of being forced to surrender my man card, here are other Chick Flicks that I'm a sucker for:

- Sense and Sensibility
- An Ideal Husband
- Emma (can you sense a theme going here?)
- The Anne of Green Gables movies

I like all of these movies. To my credit, they are at least all based on reknown books or plays. Anyway, the main thing that bugs me is I'm happy and willing to watch this stuff with Mrs. Meanie; however, she is unwilling to watch any of my favorite movies (like, say, any Dirty Harry movie) with me. Are any of your wives a "one way street" when it comes to the kind of movies they'll watch? Are any of you a one way street?
My list goes on and on ... actually most if not all of my favorite movies are what most here consider chick flicks and I am not affraid to admit it.

I can't sit through an action flick if it doesn't have substance to it -I will likely watch it though for the unintentional humor aspect. Say a film like Armagedon or Independence Day -two of the worst films EVER MADE.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote