cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

As a music idiot, knowing nothing more than Zepplin, BTO, CCR, Beattles and a few others, are these composers considered much by you afficianados?

I like Mozart, even though to an outsider his music appears cluttered.

I like Tchaikowsky, the one with the cannons.

Debussy seems cool, but I have no idea why.

Brahms is nice and Bach is very German.

Handel? Christmas time seems to be a must.

There were some Frenchmen, but I purposefully forgot the names. There, unless Van Halen counts, I've exhausted the lexicography of my virtually unlimited knowledge of classical music.

Although, if somebody explained classical music to me in an intellectual format, together with the progressions and their reason for being, it is difficult for me to become interested in it, unless I'm sitting in Paris or Vienna.

How does one acquire the requisite knowledge of the musical objectives of classical music in short order?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #32
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
How does one acquire the requisite knowledge of the musical objectives of classical music in short order?
Classical Music for Dummies.

But seriously, my problem is I love classical music (I love all music, well except for country) and I listen to it all the time--not because I want to be able to participate in conversations like this one, but because I find it to be one of the greatest forms of artistic expression ever. That said, I don't know a whole lot about who wrote what and when, and what it's called. I can hum right along with a lot of classical stuff, but couldn't tell you which opus it is or in many cases who wrote it. The only reason I know any of that stuff is because either I have listened to it on my computer or on Dish enough (where the labels accompany what you are hearing) or because I play/have played it.

There's so much out there, and so many things to learn about the different time periods, composition styles, biographical information, etc that I'm usually just content to listen/play and enjoy.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
Classical Music for Dummies.

But seriously, my problem is I love classical music (I love all music, well except for country) and I listen to it all the time--not because I want to be able to participate in conversations like this one, but because I find it to be one of the greatest forms of artistic expression ever. That said, I don't know a whole lot about who wrote what and when, and what it's called. I can hum right along with a lot of classical stuff, but couldn't tell you which opus it is or in many cases who wrote it. The only reason I know any of that stuff is because either I have listened to it on my computer or on Dish enough (where the labels accompany what you are hearing) or because I play/have played it.

There's so much out there, and so many things to learn about the different time periods, composition styles, biographical information, etc that I'm usually just content to listen/play and enjoy.

Is classical music an intellectual argument, a political argument, a feel good expression, an exploration of sound, what is it?

It seems in some discussion long ago that certain classicists established a criteria and then others spent time tearing them down, but I know little of music theory and its execution.

I thought certain keys are meant to convey a certain ambiance, but perhaps not.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #34
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

The one with the cannons is 1812. You'd probably also like Marche Slave.

The Frenchman might be Saint-Saens..

Incidentally, even "serious" music academicians recognize the genius of John Lennon. Most university schools of music even offer courses on his compositions now...

As far as how to acquire the background/academic knowledge. I have no idea, most of us just suffered at our parents' insistence that we learn something musical, and now we get to pretend like we know what we're talking about...

Personally, I spend about 90% of my time listening to classic rock. But I will always love classical music and wish that I had the talent/discipline to be performing with a symphony somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
As a music idiot, knowing nothing more than Zepplin, BTO, CCR, Beattles and a few others, are these composers considered much by you afficianados?

I like Mozart, even though to an outsider his music appears cluttered.

I like Tchaikowsky, the one with the cannons.

Debussy seems cool, but I have no idea why.

Brahms is nice and Bach is very German.

Handel? Christmas time seems to be a must.

There were some Frenchmen, but I purposefully forgot the names. There, unless Van Halen counts, I've exhausted the lexicography of my virtually unlimited knowledge of classical music.

Although, if somebody explained classical music to me in an intellectual format, together with the progressions and their reason for being, it is difficult for me to become interested in it, unless I'm sitting in Paris or Vienna.

BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 AM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer View Post
The one with the cannons is 1812. You'd probably also like Marche Slave. The Frenchman might be Saint-Saens.. Incidentally, even "serious" music academicians recognize the genius of John Lennon. Most university schools of music even offer courses on his compositions now... As far as how to acquire the background/academic knowledge. I have no idea, most of us just suffered at our parents' insistence that we learn something musical, and now we get to pretend like we know what we're talking about... Personally, I spend about 90% of my time listening to classic rock. But I will always love classical music and wish that I had the talent/discipline to be performing with a symphony somewhere.
Oh I hate to be picky, but it is the "1812 Overture." For some reason, this piece is almost always paired with "Marche Slave" on recordings, at least back in the day, lathough nowadays you are as likely to see it with the nutcracker suite as naything (which I don't get; a ballet with a celebration of a victory in war? ANything to sell a cd, I suppose).

As to the French guy, I would agree that it is probabyl Saint-Saens. Not too many other French guys get much push here. In fact, right now I can't think of any, but I know there are some.

I agree that Lennon (as well as Lenin, but that is another category) had a certain genius, but I disagree that many music academicians would put his body of work anywhere near the category of great music like Bach or Mozart, etc. Lennon, IMobvioulsyNsoHO, was noteworthy for his creative approach to pop music, his combination of meter, instruments, etc., and some very catchy tunes while avoiding the sappy lyricism of McCartney (but also probably not achieving the same level of success with melody) but he did not advance the form or content of music in any truly significant way and, after all, was simply writing pop tunes. I think most schools "study" the Beatles for the same reason they "study" other facets of pop culture, becasue it puts butts in the seats, generates some PR and keeps people supporting their departments. Geez, am I becoimng a grouchy old fart or what?

Don't misunderstand; I love the Beatles and have defended them many times, but they ain't Beethoven.

As to Arch's question, I have no idea how to learn this stuff. I am not even sure how I did. I guess I really didn't so my opinions should be taken with little seriousness.

Arch asks if music is intellectual, political, emotional, sonic or something else. The answer is an unequivocal Yes. It is all those. Understanding how or why is part of the fun of learning more abotu it, as well. Most of all, however, it should be enjoyed. As wiht all things, the more you learn about it the more of it you will enjoy. So, enjoy!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #36
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

So, would it be thread-jacking to ask what all you classical music lovers consider to be your favorite movie featuring classical music?

A couple of mine:

"Together" is a great movie about a young violin prodigy and his teacher. Highly recommended if you like Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D, Opus 35 as much as I do. It's a Chinese film, watch it with subtitles.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/together/about.php

Shine--if you haven't seen this movie yet and you claim to like classical music, then you're missing out.

Those are probably my top two.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:54 AM   #37
BarbaraGordon

Yay! Thread-jacking! Please do!

Now we'd have to know if you mean a regular movie that uses classical music in its soundtrack...or just a movie (like Amadeus) about music?

In the case of the latter, I'll take Red Violin. Except the music is actually newly composed "classical' music. Haunting, too.

In the case of the former, there's the classic scene from 2001 Space Odyssey set to the Blue Danube Waltz. I'll have to think on what my actual favorite is, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue View Post
So, would it be thread-jacking to ask what all you classical music lovers consider to be your favorite movie featuring classical music?

A couple of mine:

"Together" is a great movie about a young violin prodigy and his teacher. Highly recommended if you like Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D, Opus 35 as much as I do. It's a Chinese film, watch it with subtitles.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/together/about.php

Shine--if you haven't seen this movie yet and you claim to like classical music, then you're missing out.

Those are probably my top two.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:03 AM   #38
creekster

My favorite use of classical music in a movie is the climactic scene in Man Facing SouthEast (or maybe it was SouthWest) which was a foreign film (brazilian perhaps? It is a pretty old film) involving a guy at an insane asylum who claims he is from another planet and eventually convinces the other asylum 'residents' that he is and even causes some of this doctors to wonder, even though he looks normal and really does nothing unsual. at the end there is a scene choreographed to the 'Ode to Joy' portion of Beethoven's 9th which is utterly joyful and fantastic and liberating. You have to see it to get it.

Ironically, another of my favorite moments is from "Immortal Beloved" where a young Beethoven runs to a local pond to attempot to escape and abusive home and as he floats in the pond beneath a starry sky with the stars reflected in the pond the soundtrack plays the Ode to Joy. In general that is a great movie using Beethoven's music very well.

Amadeus is very good, too, as long as you realize that it is primarily fiction and, if you are of a certain age, as long as you can get past the fact the Pinto is supposed to be Mozart.

Edit:

Here is a link for the first movie: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0091214/

Last edited by creekster; 11-16-2006 at 02:08 AM. Reason: to add the link
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 AM   #39
BarbaraGordon

Of course it's the 1812 OVERTURE....
Are you trying to be difficult???

And yes, teaching classes on the Beatles is absolutely about increasing enrollment in music history classes. Nobody said they were Beethoven. BUT, if you listen to later Beatles...They were incorporating string quartets (beginning with Eleanor Rigby) when the Beach Boys were singing about surfboards.

But then, on the other hand, even Chumbawamba incorporated Clake's Trumpet Voluntary into Tubthumping, so maybe there's not so much to that kind of thing after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Oh I hate to be picky, but it is the "1812 Overture." For some reason, this piece is almost always paired with "Marche Slave" on recordings, at least back in the day, lathough nowadays you are as likely to see it with the nutcracker suite as naything (which I don't get; a ballet with a celebration of a victory in war? ANything to sell a cd, I suppose).

As to the French guy, I would agree that it is probabyl Saint-Saens. Not too many other French guys get much push here. In fact, right now I can't think of any, but I know there are some.

I agree that Lennon (as well as Lenin, but that is another category) had a certain genius, but I disagree that many music academicians would put his body of work anywhere near the category of great music like Bach or Mozart, etc. Lennon, IMobvioulsyNsoHO, was noteworthy for his creative approach to pop music, his combination of meter, instruments, etc., and some very catchy tunes while avoiding the sappy lyricism of McCartney (but also probably not achieving the same level of success with melody) but he did not advance the form or content of music in any truly significant way and, after all, was simply writing pop tunes. I think most schools "study" the Beatles for the same reason they "study" other facets of pop culture, becasue it puts butts in the seats, generates some PR and keeps people supporting their departments. Geez, am I becoimng a grouchy old fart or what?

Don't misunderstand; I love the Beatles and have defended them many times, but they ain't Beethoven.

As to Arch's question, I have no idea how to learn this stuff. I am not even sure how I did. I guess I really didn't so my opinions should be taken with little seriousness.

Arch asks if music is intellectual, political, emotional, sonic or something else. The answer is an unequivocal Yes. It is all those. Understanding how or why is part of the fun of learning more abotu it, as well. Most of all, however, it should be enjoyed. As wiht all things, the more you learn about it the more of it you will enjoy. So, enjoy!
Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 AM   #40
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer View Post
Of course it's the 1812 OVERTURE....
Are you trying to be difficult???

And yes, teaching classes on the Beatles is absolutely about increasing enrollment in music history classes. Nobody said they were Beethoven. BUT, if you listen to later Beatles...They were incorporating string quartets (beginning with Eleanor Rigby) when the Beach Boys were singing about surfboards.

But then, on the other hand, even Chumbawamba incorporated Clake's Trumpet Voluntary into Tubthumping, so maybe there's not so much to that kind of thing after all...

Ok, point taken, i was being too difficult.

The Beatles were very innnovative, but really only when compared to the big bopper or buddy holly. Moreover, take it a little easy on the BEach Boys, Maybe few illustrate the fine line between genius and insanity as well as Brian Wilson who, as he sank into the despair of a drug induced depression that would not leave until decades had passed and then at a terrible price to his menatl health, managed to prodcue a truly remarkable album in Pet Sounds. Good Vibrations compares very well to anything the Beatles did. Also, many of the innovations that the beatles employed, such as the use of strings, were assists to one degree opr another, from George Martin, their prodcuer.

I get knocked down . . . I like CHumbawumba.