cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
No I would not and to be honest I find my numbers on Wiki. I watch the show with my wife because it is the only show she likes that I can even stand. The show is a huge moneymaker, Simon Cowell made 40 mill last year. I just think its cool that most of these kids would never be discovered and AI gives them a chance. I am sure there are people that are 100 times as talented as even the winners but they never get their chance.
The show is a massive moneymaker, no doubt. And the ratings, even when sagging, are still through the roof above everything else.

I guess you are right....there is an element of coolness to these folks sleeping in the rain or whatever simply to get their one big shot. I bet if this kind of show were around 20 years ago, many performers that we all came to know would have also pursued this option. It just wasnt available and the contestants should not be penalized for taking advantage of technology and other opportunities.

My biggest beef is that the show is pre-packaged fluff. The judges openly admit that they are looking for someone who looks good and dresses a certain way. It is the textbook definition of spoonfed garbage. The only focus is voice, which means they are looking for lame lead singers. There isnt even discussion of writing/composition/or ability to play an instrument.

Why dont they do a show where people bring their own music/bands and play their own stuff? I would be WAY more interested in seeing that. I dont care how much gel the lead singer uses....or if they rip off a Neil Diamond song and "work it out and make it their own."

Using Simon Cowel's criteria, how many singers of classic bands wouldnt have even made the cut? Real rock and roll is organic. Not pre-packaged.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #42
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I worry his dad is another Joe Simpson and he may derail his sons career.
The rumors about his Dad are 100% pure bullshit.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #43
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Tivo? I'm worried about your manhood too. Go out and drink three beers. You'll feel better in the afternoon.

Utestar, we have a few more names to add to your complaint, and this is going to cost you.
I tivo lots of things. It is a neat invention. If that makes you think me less of a man, why should I care?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #44
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Why was his dad recently banned from going backstage?

(I honestly have no idea, not trying to argue just curious)
Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

Quote:
David Archuleta has legit singing talent and will be around for a long time.

Long before he was ever on American Idol and was known nationwide I'd seen him sing in Sacrament Meeting several times and a few other church functions. Word would typically spread and just for a regular sacrament meeting they would have to get extra chairs and have them usually lined back up to the stage.

My brother would sit up at the stand and his favorite thing to watch as David would start to sing, is the reactions and looks of peoples faces out in the crowd.

You can mock the kid all you want and call him and his talent a gimmick if it makes you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact he was blessed with a gift and has an incredible voice.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer, more humble kid. His demeanor is not an act. He is genuinely shy and is having to learn how to break out of his shell.

This is the first season I've ever watched American Idol, and I've never been able to stomach the show, but this year I have simply because I know the kid and his family and I'm rooting for them all the way.
The kid himself seems to be a great little dude. He appears to be a wholesome good person, so I have no beef there.

I am simply saying that from a musical standpoint, he seems to be little more than a novelty. He can sing, but can't a load of other folks?

Let's say he wins. Then what? Do you see him filling up Staples Center and Madison Square Garden so that people can come listen to this little guy sing cover songs? That is what I do not get....the cult of voting or whatever for winners on the show. Maybe I am missing the boat, but are we saying that David Archuleta is a serious musician? We are going to buy David Archuleta discs and go to his shows? That is the disconnect for me. And, admittedly, maybe I am missing it entirely.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #46
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The show is a massive moneymaker, no doubt. And the ratings, even when sagging, are still through the roof above everything else.

I guess you are right....there is an element of coolness to these folks sleeping in the rain or whatever simply to get their one big shot. I bet if this kind of show were around 20 years ago, many performers that we all came to know would have also pursued this option. It just wasnt available and the contestants should not be penalized for taking advantage of technology and other opportunities.

My biggest beef is that the show is pre-packaged fluff. The judges openly admit that they are looking for someone who looks good and dresses a certain way. It is the textbook definition of spoonfed garbage. The only focus is voice, which means they are looking for lame lead singers. There isnt even discussion of writing/composition/or ability to play an instrument.

Why dont they do a show where people bring their own music/bands and play their own stuff? I would be WAY more interested in seeing that. I dont care how much gel the lead singer uses....or if they rip off a Neil Diamond song and "work it out and make it their own."

Using Simon Cowel's criteria, how many singers of classic bands wouldnt have even made the cut? Real rock and roll is organic. Not pre-packaged.
I agree with you, but this year they did allow instruments which is a start, also not all singers write their own music. This show is looking for the next great "Pop" star. They are finding exactly what they are looking for, just recently with Bo Bice, Daughtry and David Cook you are getting more rock performers.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #47
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I dont know a single thing about the dad but for the pub I read in the dailies.

what is the scoop? he is painted out to be a bit of a burgeoning stage parent.

You say otherwise? Again, i have no clue on this one.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #48
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The kid himself seems to be a great little dude. He appears to be a wholesome good person, so I have no beef there.

I am simply saying that from a musical standpoint, he seems to be little more than a novelty. He can sing, but can't a load of other folks?

Let's say he wins. Then what? Do you see him filling up Staples Center and Madison Square Garden so that people can come listen to this little guy sing cover songs? That is what I do not get....the cult of voting or whatever for winners on the show. Maybe I am missing the boat, but are we saying that David Archuleta is a serious musician? We are going to buy David Archuleta discs and go to his shows? That is the disconnect for me. And, admittedly, maybe I am missing it entirely.
Do you really thing once he makes an album it is going to be strictly cover songs? Past winners have not done that, so why would he?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #49
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why was his dad recently banned from going backstage?

(I honestly have no idea, not trying to argue just curious)
His dad is lucky he isn't getting sued. He cost the show thousands of dollars by insisting his son slip in lines from "beautiful girls" by Sean Kingston into his Stand by Me rendition. AI did not have rights to that song and had to pay royalties to the owner of that song. As a result the show said that his dad can no longer be a part of rehersals and was banned from backstage. Dad needed to back off and he did...even if it was by force.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #50
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I agree with you, but this year they did allow instruments which is a start, also not all singers write their own music. This show is looking for the next great "Pop" star. They are finding exactly what they are looking for, just recently with Bo Bice, Daughtry and David Cook you are getting more rock performers.
I forgot about Bo Bice! that was the Skynard dude, no?

What about the other rocker...the one that looked like Gollum? He disappeared pretty quickly.

I think it would be great to encourage more intruments and composition. Points should be awarded and judging taken into consideration for doing that, as opposed to simply singing someone else's song.