cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Some of my shows have already been listed.

But THE defining TV show for me....

Twin Peaks.

None before and none since have touched it. Most unique show I have ever seen on the airwaves.
Forgot that one. My wife and I were also transfixed by that show (and I still don't get the dancing dwarf is that expalined in the movie?)
Old 05-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Forgot that one. My wife and I were also transfixed by that show (and I still don't get the dancing dwarf is that expalined in the movie?)
What's it about? I never heard anything about it except for the name.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The movie does explain more about him, but the show gives us a lot of info, too.

He is known as The Man from Another Place.

He basically is associated with, or even IS, Mike...the spirit that possessed the Gerard, One Armed Man. in the show, Gerard tells us how he cut off his own arm. In the movie, TMFAP tells us that he IS the arm.

TMFAP is enemies with Bob because Bob stole the garmonbozia (the creamed corn that represents fear/death/etc) and kept it for himself...to feed himself and grow more powerful. TMFAP makes Bob pay him back, so Bob uses Laura Palmer's garmonbozia to do so. TMFAP then "double crosses" Bob by helping Agent Cooper identify Bob's mortal host, Leland Palmer, thereby ending Bob's ability to collect more garmonbozia.

Twin Peaks is rad. I was pretty obsessed and am still a huge David Lynch fan.

The last time we were in Seattle, I took my wife to Snoqualmie Falls/Salish Lodge outside of Seattle just so we could see The Great Northern and take pics.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 05-20-2008 at 11:59 PM.
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What's it about? I never heard anything about it except for the name.
Pop culture, my friend. Pop culture.

In a nutshell, it is the story of a small logging community and the muder of the local Prom Queen, Laura Palmer. The 2 seasons are dedicated to solving her murder. As events unfold, we learn all about how the characters are interconnected in many ways.

if you are at all familiar with David Lynch's style of filmmaking, you will know that he uses rich but bizarre imagery to tell his stories....things that make little sense, random phrases or words, and out of place incidents.

It is an amazing show that rocked TV and was a cult phenomenon from the very early 90s. Well worth the view, but watch them all in order, plus the pilot and the movie.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #15
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Different Strokes
Growing Pains
Silver Spoons
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
The Wonder Years
ER
The Office
Heroes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Pop culture, my friend. Pop culture.

In a nutshell, it is the story of a small logging community and the muder of the local Prom Queen, Laura Palmer. The 2 seasons are dedicated to solving her murder. As events unfold, we learn all about how the characters are interconnected in many ways.

if you are at all familiar with David Lynch's style of filmmaking, you will know that he uses rich but bizarre imagery to tell his stories....things that make little sense, random phrases or words, and out of place incidents.

It is an amazing show that rocked TV and was a cult phenomenon from the very early 90s. Well worth the view, but watch them all in order, plus the pilot and the movie.
what DDD doesn't tell you is that it couldn't sustain the mystery and crapped out in very short order. X-files had a similar thing happen. The mystery got worse and worse as time went on. Think Matrix II to Matrix III.

that's what makes Lost amazing. A mystery show that has maintained a high level of interest for a lon time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what DDD doesn't tell you is that it couldn't sustain the mystery and crapped out in very short order. X-files had a similar thing happen. The mystery got worse and worse as time went on. Think Matrix II to Matrix III.

that's what makes Lost amazing. A mystery show that has maintained a high level of interest for a lon time.
Is Lost still interesting?

How long can a group be "lost" on an island which doesn't belong to Gilligan?

Is Lost a bit like Heroes?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #18
creekster

Quote:
The movie does explain more about him, but the show gives us a lot of info, too.

He is known as The Man from Another Place.

He basically is associated with, or even IS, Mike...the spirit that possessed the Gerard, One Armed Man. in the show, Gerard tells us how he cut off his own arm. In the movie, TMFAP tells us that he IS the arm.

TMFAP is enemies with Bob because Bob stole the garmonbozia (the creamed corn that represents fear/death/etc) and kept it for himself...to feed himself and grow more powerful. TMFAP makes Bob pay him back, so Bob uses Laura Palmer's garmonbozia to do so. TMFAP then "double crosses" Bob by helping Agent Cooper identify Bob's mortal host, Leland Palmer, thereby ending Bob's ability to collect more garmonbozia.

Twin Peaks is rad. I was pretty obsessed and am still a huge David Lynch fan.

The last time we were in Seattle, I took my wife to Snoqualmie Falls/Salish Lodge outside of Seattle just so we could see The Great Northern and take pics.

I am a little embarrassed to say that the last time my wiufe and I were in Seattle we also dragged our clan out to look at those falls. The kids thought we were nuts.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

IIRC, Twin Peaks had a cool theme song.

Twin Peaks is also the name of my kids' elementary school.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #20
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is Lost still interesting?

How long can a group be "lost" on an island which doesn't belong to Gilligan?

Is Lost a bit like Heroes?
I had never thought of that. If Kate is Ginger then who is Maryanne? (or vice versa?)