cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #41
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
There was also a documentary on Vietnam that I watched for my History of Civ class at BYU.
On a related note, I'm not sure this would go down as my favorite documentary, but it is one that made some impact on me, it's a PBS documentary titled "Vietnam - A Television History." The multi-part series was made in the early '80s.

Background: As a kid I loved everything about WWII. I was fascinated by the planes, tanks, weapons and battles. I watched all of the old war movies I could, built models, etc. (nerd alert, I know).

Fast forward a few years, and my dad and I are watching the A Television History on PBS. I'm still basically a kid and my perception of the reality of war matched my age. At the end of one episode, a veteran tearfully details the result of a patrol mission; his best friend's head being blown off, as they sat together in the dark of a seemingly quiet night patrol.

My dad broke the silence at the end of the episode with the query, "Do you still think war is 'cool' and fun?" I didn't respond and I didn't need to; he knew the answer. Obviously, I still remember that moment today.

http://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-Televi.../dp/6304462522

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 05-08-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added link
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
On a related note, I'm not sure this would go down as my favorite documentary, but it is one that made some impact on me, it's a PBS documentary titled "Vietnam - A Television History." The multi-part series was made in the early '80s.

Background: As a kid I loved everything about WWII. I was fascinated by the planes, tanks, weapons and battles. I watched all of the old war movies I could, built models, etc. (nerd alert, I know).

Fast forward a few years, and my dad and I are watching the A Television History on PBS. I'm still basically a kid and my perception of the reality of war matched my age. At the end of one episode a veteran tearful details the result of a patrol mission; his best friend's head being blown off, as they sat together in the dark of a seemingly quite night patrol.

My dad broke the silence at the end of the episode with the query, "Do you still think war is 'cool' and fun?" I didn't respond and I didn't need to; he knew the answer. Obviously, I still remember that moment today.
Hmmmm. I thought to myself, "It's too bad W didn't have a moment like this."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I own your #2 and thought it was excellent. I have no earthly idea why that was rated R, do you? The entire film is climbing scenes.
F-word, C-word. Cussing.

I enjoyed it. Joe did make sure everyone knew he is a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, didn't he.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #44
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Nanook of the north...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Although it is not a documentary, it kind of has that feel, I recommend "Fast Runner".
Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #46
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Although it is not a documentary, it kind of has that feel, I recommend "Fast Runner".
This was a cool flick. I saw it at the University Cinema here in OC and it disappeared quickly. Never even met anyone else that had even heard of it until now.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #47
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My big regret about Fast runner is that it was not shot in film. If it had been shot in film---all-time indy classic.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #48
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerstein View Post
Of the documentaries I've seen recently, I enjoyed Spellbound, the King of Kong, and New York Doll. I watched New York Doll in the theater at the UCI Edwards cinema and really liked it how it captured the Mormon experience.

There was also a documentary on Vietnam that I watched for my History of Civ class at BYU. The class had optional movie days on Friday, and most of the class went because the film choices were so interesting (Manon of the Spring, Wings of Desire, etc). I don't remember which Vietnam collection it was. There were a few DVDs, and I snoozed through some of it.

We sat down one Friday to watch one of the later chapters. The first footage we saw was of a Vietcong getting executed pointblank range, the body falling to the floor with blood squirting out of his temple like a fountain.

It was the most disturbing thing that I'd ever seen. All the R-rated shootings, stabbings, beheadings that I'd previously viewed were under the supposition that it was fake Hollywood acting. This was something completely different. It was my first time seeing video of a real human being executed.

As soon as that clip ended, the professor (Professor Keele) immediately stopped the film. He'd forgotten that the beginning of that chapter contained such footage. He apologized profusely for not giving us prior warning of the graphic nature of the video.

Now that I think about it, I'm grateful for the maturity of the students in that class. We accepted the professor's apology and continued withthe rest of class. To my knowledge, there weren't any BYU students that complained about the footage. I've known a few students/members who would have made a big fuss if they'd seen something like that while attending the Y.

There was a lot of good class discussion that day too about war and its effects. It was definitely a memorable college experience.

Below is the closest thing on Amazon I could find. I'm not sure if that's what we watched in class, but based on the users comments, it contains some of the same footage:

http://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Minds-C...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2
King of Kong was OUTSTANDING. Some good laughs, but you still get drawn into the culture. When you catch yourself yelling at the TV, "A high score doesn't count unless it's WITNESSED!!!", you know it's sucked you in.

Spellbound was similarly entertaining.

Anyone seen "Best in Show"? Great parody of these types of documentaries.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #49
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My big regret about Fast runner is that it was not shot in film. If it had been shot in film---all-time indy classic.
Was it all digital? I didnt know that. It has been about 5 or so years since I saw it, but I seem to recall amazing cinematography. The whole thing was shot on the Ice Planet of Hoth.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #50
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I think I went over this one with Rocky before.

A documentary does not have to be objective. In fact, most are not. They all contain some sort of agenda or message, even if it is not political.

A documentary simply documents that which is noteworthy.

Thus, when people complain that Michael Moore's documentaries are biased, they are basically saying, "Hey, I have never taken a basic film studies class."
I can't really speak for others, but my complaint about the bias present in Moore's documentaries is not that the bias somehow disqualifies them--it's that the lack of any opposing viewpoints makes them less powerful. He tackles complicated issues and tries to make them black-and-white.

That said, they're definitely worth seeing.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote