cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite documentaries

Just finished watching a fascinating documentary on an ill-fated round-the-world solo sailing race in 1969 called Deep Water:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/

I have always enjoyed good quality documentaries. Some of my favorites (in no particular order):

1. Fog of War
Robert McNamara looks back on his career
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317910/

2. Touching the Void
Story of hiking disaster in the Andes
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379557/

3. Riding Giants
History of big wave surfing
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389326/

4. King of Kong
Battle for video game immortality
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

5. Jesus Camp
Camp for kids in midwest
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486358/

Of course, I am not including the various Ken Burns PBS series or any of the Michael Moore movies, since those are all so well known.

So what are some of your favorite documentaries? I am looking for some ideas for my Blockbuster Online queue.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I own your #2 and thought it was excellent. I have no earthly idea why that was rated R, do you? The entire film is climbing scenes.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

King of Kong is very cool, esp if you are at all a fan of the 80s.

March of the Penguins is a nice nature one...my kids actually enjoy it. Not sure about the repeat value of this one, though.

Riding Giants is fantastic. If you enjoy that one, check out Endless Summer (1 or 2, although 1 is better) and Step Into Liquid, which is great.

I recently watched "Wetback," which chronicles the journey of several immigrants from Central America trying to work their way up through Mexico and over the border. It is actually very gripping and parts are sad.

"Deliver Us From Evil" I posted about this one a month or so ago. Watched it on TV one night. Very upsetting but fascinating look at a pedophile priest that was eventually moved to Ireland, and away from US prosecutors. There are interviews with his victims (who are now adults) as well as with the priest himself, who talks openly about his continued pedophilic tendencies.

The 70s movie "Woodstock" is a great look into the festival itself, as well as excellent footage. If you are fan of music, you really should check that one out.

"The Times of Harvey Milk" chronicles the career and influence of the legendary gay activist in SF, including his assassination.

"When we were Kings" this one also won an academy award for best doc. Ali/Foreman Rumble in the Jungle. Ali was before my time, but this really shows him at the height of his political prowess. We also see Ali's famous "Rope a Dope" strategy that was used to wear out Foreman. Very interesting.

"Into the Arms of Strangers" is excellent. About the transport of Jewish children smuggled out or escaping Nazi Germany and taken to live in England. We saw this one in the theater and it certainly was emotional.

Just a few of the ones I have enjoyed.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

One other: Spellbound, about the DC spelling bee. very cool show.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Riding Giants. Step Into Liquid. Endless Summer 1 and 2 if those count as docs. Dogtown and Z Boys.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Riding Giants. Step Into Liquid. Endless Summer 1 and 2 if those count as docs. Dogtown and Z Boys.
Ha. reading each other;s minds, I see.

Good call on Dogtown and Z Boys.

I LOVE that one. So cool to see the birth of skate culture in SoCal and how it spread.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Shoah

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I just saw Nanking. Horribly powerful.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

If you all want to see a documentary that ranks off the charts on the unintended comedy scale, I refer you to Darkon....a real life wargaming phenomenon that exists across the country. There is a local chapter here in OC.

It is basically all the nerds who played Dungeons and Dragons in junior high, except now they have jobs and can drive themselves around, so they drive to the countryside, dress up like knights, and play Darkon.

Please see this film. And feel GREAT about your life.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

The Last Waltz.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote