cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 03:06 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
DEAL!!!!

At the end of the night, we can all sing So Long, Farewell as we retire to our separate, yes UteStar, separate!, quarters. I can't wait to give ole' Monkey Man a swift kick in the rear as he sings, "Adieu, Adieu, to you and you and yuh-oo."
So, who is the cute one that sings about the sun going to bed?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:18 AM   #22
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I believe I can one-up you PAC.

While on my mission, I had my companion, Anziano Di Caro, take a picture of me standing on the bridge where George C. Scott shot the stubborn mule that was impeding his troops as the rolled toward Palermo.

If we want to expand the CG field trip, I'd be happy to take you folks there and if we're lucky, there will be a mule that we could shoot and toss over the bridge into the stream.
Since Patton is in my top 10 alltime favorites list, I second this, but let's go after the Sound of Music tour so that we can return with honor and at least a little testosterone. I'd also like to stand on the hilltop where Scott/Patton looked down over a very long armored column that was advancing on a German position and said, "Compared with war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance,."
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 AM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

One other note, while I was on my mission a BYU Study Abroad group came through and sang Edelweiss, expecting the Salzburg branch to be deeply moved by the touching performance. Didn't happen, mainly because the song was written by Rodgers and Hammerstein. The Austrians had never heard the song before the movie came out, and they had long grown tired of Americans asking them to sing it.
Are you serious, it was written for the movie? That is freaking hilarious. I always assumed it was the most popular song in all of Austria.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:23 AM   #24
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
So, who is the cute one that sings about the sun going to bed?
Have a little dignity man. Begging for the role will earn you no favors. Post a Youtube video of you singing the part and we'll all judge whether you deserve it or not. Plain and simple.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 AM   #25
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
For this Pelagius was persuaded to stay in the rust belt?
I'm a big fan of Sound of Music. The part where Captain Von Trapp talks down young Ralph while they are hiding in the church is pure cinema magic. Not to mention the whimsy of "How do you solve a problem like Maria ..."
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #26
PaloAltoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Are you serious, it was written for the movie? That is freaking hilarious. I always assumed it was the most popular song in all of Austria.
Yes, the song many Americans believe is the Austrian national anthem was, in fact, written by two Americans for the stage fifty years ago or so. When the BYU group started singing the song to the Austrians, an old member sitting next to me muttered the German equivalent of "Oh crap, not this again."
Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #27
PaloAltoCougar

Another Sound of Music trivia bit: While Maria and the kids are singing Do Re Mi on a hilltop, off in the distance you can see a castle situated on a lower hilltop. That castle was the site of "Where Eagles Dare", another cool WWII movie from the '60s, as well as the home of the Prince in "Slipper and the Rose."
Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #28
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I'm a big fan of Sound of Music. The part where Captain Von Trapp talks down young Ralph while they are hiding in the church is pure cinema magic. Not to mention the whimsy of "How do you solve a problem like Maria ..."
Now this is a guy with discriminating tastes, setting him apart from a simple-minded primate.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:05 AM   #29
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Another Sound of Music trivia bit: While Maria and the kids are singing Do Re Mi on a hilltop, off in the distance you can see a castle situated on a lower hilltop. That castle was the site of "Where Eagles Dare", another cool WWII movie from the '60s, as well as the home of the Prince in "Slipper and the Rose."
Totally agree The Sound of Music is a great movie.

Where Eagles Dare was my favorite as a child. I can't vouch for it now. Richard Burton and a relatively unknown Clint Eastwood in a supporting role. Gripping scenes atop the gondolas, and the castle was very cool.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:14 AM   #30
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The Sound of Music, South Pacific, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band...all movies I was forced to watch as a child. Time robbed from me that I'll never get back.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote