cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

For nostalgia's sake, I rewatched the U2 video on You Tube and it is funny how it has been edited. The events of the day did not really occur the way the video would suggest.

I was a sophomore in HS in 87 and KROQ, the local radio station, had announced on its morning show (Richard Blade and Poor Man) that U2 would be downtown filming and doing a free show.

My friends and I used it as an excuse to go record shopping in hollywood and catch a free show. The show itself was actually not in a great part of downtown...it was on Main street and about 6th or so....basically a few blocks outside of Skid Row.

U2 had been setting up there for a day or so and this event had been planned well in advance.

We got there at about 1 or so and there were a few thousand there milling about...HS kids, suits from downtown, and what seemed like a lot of homeless people, too.

The band would address the crowd now and then with megaphones updating everyone as to the progress and informing us that there was in issue with security. They talked about their new album (Joshua Tree) and the launch of their tour. The band indicated that as long as everyone would stay OUT of the street and on the corners, they would be allowed to play a short set.

The band played 2 or so songs and everyone stayed out of the street. I remember one of the songs was New Year's Day. Do not remember the other 1 or 2 because I was not that into their stuff.

Finally, they announced that the cops were going to let them do one more song. Some organizer, maybe it was the bands manager, comes out on the roof with a megaphone and basically tells everyone to get crazy and charge the streets. So everyone piles into the intersection and U2 played "Where the Streets...." They played it twice, if I recall.

The second time they played it, the cops came out and shut it down at the end of the song.

The video edit makes it seem like the band played on despite warnings to the contrary. Also, you can briefly see the guy with the megaphone and footage of people running into the intersection. But you can also clearly see that most of us were just standing on corners for the shoot because the traffic needed to pass through. You can also see a few homeless people.

All in all, it was a fun experience to witness a litte slice of rock history, but the video, in typical Bono style, is a bit self-aggrandized.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #42
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
U2 looks very good based on these criteria.
Using TD's criteria, I think you have to include the The Beach Boys (like them or not), Bob Dylan and The Clash in the top 10, if not in the top five.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #43
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Using TD's criteria, I think you have to include the The Beach Boys (like them or not), Bob Dylan and The Clash in the top 10, if not in the top five.
I would add REM to that mix.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #44
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Beach Boys = Pet Sounds. One of the most important albums of the modern era.

I like ALL your suggestions on this one.

The Clash is a personal favorite of mine. Sandanista! has been mentioned by several artists as one of their all-time favorites (RHCP, Nirvana, The Pixies to name a few).

Incidentally, I put the Clash WAY before The Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Not even close, actually. Although I love both of them, too.

And if there were no Dylan, there would be no Black Diamond Bay. And if there is no BDB to go to the TCU game, I may not get my hands on a Cosmo baseball cap this season.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM   #45
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

All in all, it was a fun experience to witness a litte slice of rock history, but the video, in typical Bono style, is a bit self-aggrandized.
Cool story. I just watched the video and it looked like a fun experience.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #46
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I do not enjoy U2 and have never been a huge fan of their music. I have a few of their albums and even saw them live twice....once in concert and once on the top of a roof that was made semi famous in one of their videos. Still, I just do not like them that much.

That being said, I would argue all day long that they belong in the pantheon. They continue to be relevant socially, musically, and politically (regardless of Bono's pompous persona). They definitely have redefined themselves musically and have a catalogue that is quite diverse--electronica, rock, ballads, r&b, jazz, and country influenced tunes, as well.
Plus Bono has the record for taking the biggest crap.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #47
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Cool story. I just watched the video and it looked like a fun experience.
It was.

Nice avatar, by the way.

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

My favorite movie of all time.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #48
8ballrollin

Quote:

Good story.

Yes, this was still in the pre ubiquitous-sunglasses era.

I think that timeframe ('87-ish) was the peak for the band, for me anyway. I've always been partial to the pre-90s U2. Plus, how can you beat the 'puffy shirts', boots and mullet.

'85...

Old 10-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #49
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Plus Bono has the record for taking the biggest crap.
Isnt that Dave Matthews Band?

Or do they just have the record for dumping the most crap on people?

Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #50
8ballrollin

Quote:
The Clash is a personal favorite of mine. Sandanista! has been mentioned by several artists as one of their all-time favorites (RHCP, Nirvana, The Pixies to name a few).
On The Clash…I'm going to go tangential for a moment. Do you remember B.A.D?

'88...