cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 AM   #21
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Though I don't care much for his music, John Mellencamp probably meets the requirements for consideration.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:17 AM   #22
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I would subtract Springsteen, the other two I agree with. Another angle here is that Dylan and Simon are really very serious poets in their own right as well even if you substract the music.
Springsteen definitely belongs on the list, maybe more than the other two. Though he had a short career, I would add Cat Stevens to the list. He was a remarkable songwriter.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 AM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Springsteen definitely belongs on the list, maybe more than the other two. Though he had a short career, I would add Cat Stevens to the list. He was a remarkable songwriter.
Except for that dang British accent, Cat would have made an excellent American songwriter.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 AM   #24
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Though I don't care much for his music, John Mellencamp probably meets the requirements for consideration.

Mellencamp is very populist in his approach, but the body of work isn't excellent or enduring enough, IMO, to rank up there with the others, but he is truly American.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 AM   #25
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Except for that dang British accent, Cat would have made an excellent American songwriter.
I didn't realize Cat Stevens was Brittish. In that case, substitute Tom Petty in his place.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 AM   #26
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I didn't realize Cat Stevens was Brittish. In that case, substitute Tom Petty in his place.
Tom Petty is a good call. I am surprised, in hindsight, that no one has mentioned him yet. Good choice.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #27
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Mellencamp is very populist in his approach, but the body of work isn't excellent or enduring enough, IMO, to rank up there with the others, but he is truly American.
What's the real difference between Springsteen and Mellencamp? IMO it's mainly the area of the country in which their Wal-Mart shopper fanbase was stronger.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What's the real difference between Springsteen and Mellencamp? IMO it's mainly the area of the country in which their Wal-Mart shopper fanbase was stronger.
The difference is people actually remember and respect Springsteen's music.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #29
creekster

Quote:
Ouch; bad day at work?

Mellencamp had a populist sentiment to his best lyrics that was occassionally matched by a well crafted tune (jack & Dianne, for example). His very best work can perhaps match, but does nto exceed Springsteen in any respect. Springsteen put the defining albums of the late sevetties, capturing the lost faith and hope of that era and the desire for more concrette values with no idea how to obtain them all placed against a bad or failing economy. Born to Run, the River, Darkness on the edge of town and my personal favorite, Thunder Road, all evince the american spirit and malaise at the time in poetry and tune. ANy of these far exceed anything by Mellencamp both in quality and in depth of message. Add to this the quality of Springsteen's pop senisbilities (hugely successful covers of his songs by others from such diverse artists as the pointer sisters and Mannfred Mann) and his is an ouevre that John Cougar just can't match, IMO. Then, to top it off, Springsteen throws in the now trite Born in the USA anthem and a few other well crafted (and over produced) songs of the 80s and his work is even greater. He then re-invents himself as a modern Guthrie-esque troubadour in the The Ghost of Tom Joad.

Moreover, Sprigsteen puts on a killer live show; never seen Mellencamp, but I have no doubt it isn't better live.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #30
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The difference is people actually remember and respect Springsteen's music.
There are plenty of people who remember and respect Mellencamp. His tours of some of the highest grossing in the world each year. As I said earlier, I'm not really a fan of either of these guys, but I don't think they're all that far apart talent wise. Mellencamp put out his worst music as he broke onto the scene in the early 80's. His music has improved and subsequently become much less popular as he's aged. Springsteen put out good stuff when he was young and then that crap that everyone but me loved in the 80's. If Born in the USA and Glory Days are any better than Jack and Diane and Little Pink Houses, I'd like for somebody to tell me why.