cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
My updated thoughts:

The Road is not a good novel, but a great one. The last novel I felt compelled to reread immediately after completing it was Heart of Darkness - back when I was in school. But then again, I have not read much fiction since college, so maybe that’s not saying much.

My takes on the metaphor in this novel are something less than amateur. Feel free to pick them apart or make fun of me as you will!

In the end, I think the underlying theme is one of faith. Faith in God? Maybe not, depending on your point of view. If not faith in God, then faith in mankind. Faith in mankind’s ability to become enlightened - to be and act moral. Faith that man can be lifted out of the dark ages, even as it stands on the shores of its sure extinction.

Good vs. Evil is addressed but not in a theodicies (as I understand the term). It never tries to justify God or explain evil in the face of complete despair and destruction, but evil is vivid in this tale. That being said, the book is theological – it IS the end of the world after all.

(WARNING: Spoilers!!!)

The theological musings start at the beginning of the book: “If he is not the word of God God never spoke”

In the middle: To the old man on the road, “What if I said that he's a god” Old man’s response, "I hope that's not true what you said because to be on the road with the last god would be a terrible thing so I hope it's not true."

The old man again, "When we're all gone at last then there'll be nobody here but death and his days will be numbered too. He'll be out in the road there with nothing to do and nobody to do it to. He'll say: where did everybody go? And that's how it will be. What's wrong with that?" He mimics, in a way, the wife’s earlier fatalism (nihilism?).

And at the end: The father goes to die after reaching “a crossroad.” On the far side of the road? More destruction, the remnants of trees which have been knocked down by a storm - their ash-like fossils being wiped from the earth.

“All still dead.” Is it worth going on?

Before he dies, he looks at his son and sees “light is all about him.”

“There is no prophet not honored” “Whatever you said was right.”

“You need to keep going.”

“Is the fire real?” “Yes, it’s inside you.”

“Don’t give up.”

They reached a “point of no return” to carry the fire when he recognized they carried it.

Papa is dead three days, then uncovered.

The dad: Doles out Old Testament justice (the thief) and demonstrates real-world pragmatism (“we can’t do anything for him”, “don’t take any chances” – ok, thanks Reagan.) The dad has a wide breadth of knowledge. He instills the need to carry the fire – stand on the shoulders of giants.

The son: New Testament mercy, morality and enlightenment (the old man on the road, the other struck by lightning, boy in the window).

Seeing the paradox between justice and mercy - pragmatism and idealism, he asks, “Are we still the good guys?”

Once again at the end: the boy stands at the same crossroads. Is it worth going on?

“Are you one of the good guys?”

Yes, they are the good guys: they don’t eat people (they aspire to more than just the next meal). They carry the fire.

Loving mother. (has a daughter - the fire moves forward?)

“…the breath of God was his breath yet though it pass from man to man through all of time”

But the world is broken and cannot be fixed. What was is no more.

Me: that’s ok, because in the face of real extinction, faith remains.

Me, part two: what we have today, in all its detail – hand on wife’s leg -“feeling her stocking beneath the stuff of the dress", children’s funny mimics, “the odds are against them”, trees, a falcon falling for its prey, a lazy fishing trip are to be admired (not strong enough a word) and remembered.

I know many will want, in the end, to see darkness in this novel, but after some thought - I don’t. Call me Oprah!
Excellent. Clearly McCarthy is attracted by dark notions. But if it weren't for the possibility of redemption, darkness wouldn't be so alluring, would it? Like most of us he's probably still trying to figure it all out, whether it's ultimately all darknes or not, insightful as he is.

He doesn't solve the problem of evil; it's there all through the book though, like the ash. He highlights it.

You forgot the old man's line, something to the effect that when we're dead it's the same as everyone being dead. That's nihilism. The line about death being on the road alone and wondering where happened to everybody is all time. Spectacularly eloquent, and even a bit funny. So is the illusion about the sun being like a bereaved mother walking around carrying a lamp. So many others.

If you haven't read Blood Meridian you must.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-31-2007 at 08:20 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #22
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

The boat they find is named, 'Bird of Hope,' on said boat man is 'inspired' to find things previously 'not seen,' and finds something that 'burns' to the core.

I interpreted the book as saying that religion may have caused the destruction.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #23
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
The boat they find is named, 'Bird of Hope,' on said boat man is 'inspired' to find things previously 'not seen,' and finds something that 'burns' to the core.

I don't have my copy presently. You're talking about the wrecked boat where he found the flare gun?

—Paul Auster
Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #24
SeattleUte

Quote:
Where do you get that?

By the way, there's a Cormac McCarthy website (I've never visited it) that the New York Times book section has praised for its insightful and intelligent posts. I understand the MikeWaters of that board is an Evangelical Christian. Strange bedfellows. Most of the posters are not religious or even atheists and recently the Jefe had to tell them to stop Bush bashing and religion bashing on the McCarthy board.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #25
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't have my copy presently. You're talking about the wrecked boat where he found the flare gun?
Yes, they spent days on the beach extracting food, clothing, supplies from the boat.

If you remember, the last day the man went to the boat searching for something. He stood on the bow, meditated, was inspired, followed his premonition, found the flare gun and flares in a previously unforeseen location. I thought it was significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Where do you get that?
On this road there are no godspoke men. They are gone and I am left and they have taken with them the world.

Last edited by fusnik11; 06-20-2007 at 10:38 PM.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #26
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Could be, but I think it follows a common model in post-apocalyptic stories (with the exception of The Stand) where the exact details of how the devastation took place remain obscure.

I like the fact that all we get are hints – the bright lights in the distance, concussions, the power goes out, time to fill up the tub and watch distant cities burn.

No matter the cause, their physical world remains shattered.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #27
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it better than the Harry Potters? If so, I may have to check it out.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 AM   #28
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Is it better than the Harry Potters? If so, I may have to check it out.
Now that's funny.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:59 AM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I just finished this book last night. Fabulous. Best novel I have read in a very long time. McCarthy has a tremendous gift of language.

Definitely a book that haunts you. And I cannot remember a more moving ending.