cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 05:50 AM   #51
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Snow Falling On Cedars drove me nuts.

I was so bored while visiting my now ex-in laws about 4-5 years ago that I saw the book laying around and read the whole thing.

It was beautifully written,,,but I guess the whole "taking 18 pages to describe the changing color on a leaf" thing drove me nuts after awhile.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Snow Falling On Cedars drove me nuts.

I was so bored while visiting my now ex-in laws about 4-5 years ago that I saw the book laying around and read the whole thing.

It was beautifully written,,,but I guess the whole "taking 18 pages to describe the changing color on a leaf" thing drove me nuts after awhile.
This book tends to get mixed reactions. I really liked it. Part of that is due to the fact that I served a mission in Japan and my father lived a few miles from an internment camp during WW2 and made friends with several of the Japanese-American teenagers. So the context/setting of the story was fascinating to me.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #53
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Yeah, I can for sure see that.

Japan is a land I would love to visit one day.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:46 PM   #54
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Homeboy - What was it that you liked about All the Pretty Horses?

I read it after it was highly recommended by a friend as one of his favorites of all time.

I had a very hard time keeping interested in it. The way that the dialogue was presented was very distracting for me. Also, being a non-spanish speaker, it was very irritating to have no translation to much of the spanish dialogue, usually with no future reference to the conversation to help me to fill in the blanks.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #55
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose

I read it after it was highly recommended by a friend as one of his favorites of all time.

I had a very hard time keeping interested in it. The way that the dialogue was presented was very distracting for me. Also, being a non-spanish speaker, it was very irritating to have no translation to much of the spanish dialogue, usually with no future reference to the conversation to help me to fill in the blanks.
Well, I read this about a dozen years ago, so don't expect an in-depth analysis. I have read criticism of his writing style, but it didn't bother me. I just thought it McCarthy did an amazing job of presenting a harsh, gritty story with beautiful and moving imagery.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #56
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't love reading, but here are books that have done something for me (and kept me interested, which is saying something):

- Angle of Repose (Stegner)
- Slaughterhouse Five (Vonnegut)
- 1984 (Orwell)
- Post Office (Bukowski)
- Nine Stories (Salinger)

Fine, so Nine Stories is cheating. If you'll give me that one, I also really liked

- Letting Loose the Hounds (Brady Udall)

As a casual aside meant to "accidentally" offend people, I write speculative fiction but mostly can't stand reading it. Yes, including OSC. Most spec fic seems awfully out-of-balance, e.g., too much world-building and not enough plot; too much plot, not enough character; etc.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:00 AM   #57
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose

Well, I read this about a dozen years ago, so don't expect an in-depth analysis. I have read criticism of his writing style, but it didn't bother me. I just thought it McCarthy did an amazing job of presenting a harsh, gritty story with beautiful and moving imagery.
I really liked All the Pretty Horses, but I couldn't finish the 2nd book. I got bogged down. Probably like you did in the first.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:35 AM   #58
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I agree with those that said Catch-22 is the funniest book ever written.

Also I second Slaughterhouse 5 as a page turner.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 04:38 AM   #59
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you've all been waiting for me to chime in, but I really don't have much to add beyond some previously listed.

- Angela's Ashes (The technique used really pulled me in and appreciate his writing ability)
- Mother Night (I think I may have liked this more than Slaughterhouse V)
- Les Mis (Abridged -- I couldn't put that down, read it before seeing it performed)
- Harry Potter

I haven't had a lot of time the past couple of years or so to read and when I have it's mostly been non-fiction -- American history, Stephen Ambrose, baseball.

Hemingway doesn't do anything for me -- I can't stand such self-centered characters as those in Sun Also Rises. And, outlier, Angle of Repose? It was all I could do to make it through that for a class at BYU.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:45 AM   #60
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
- Mother Night (I think I may have liked this more than Slaughterhouse V)
I like Mother Night, but not as much as Slaughterhouse Five. Actually my favorite Vonnegut book, and I have read several, is Breakfast of Champions.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote