cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Default Question about motorcycles...

I jokingly mentioned to my roommate the other day that I should get a motorcycle for my commute. She freaked out and told me that I would never be able to handle riding a motorcycle. She says I'm too small, and that even a small bike would be too difficult for me to handle.

I do realize that there is every possibility that she's right. However, the whole conversation was kind of a problem for me. I guess I don't like to have her try and boss me around telling me what I am, and am not capable of doing. I don't really think she knows what she's talking about.

Anyway, can someone please tell me if you're aware of a motorcycle that is small enough for a woman to ride? Not a bullet bike, it has to be a normal motorcycle.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

of course there is.

but as a former motorcycle rider, I wouldn't recommend you (or anyone else) get one.

the math is against you when you're on a bike.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
of course there is.

but as a former motorcycle rider, I wouldn't recommend you (or anyone else) get one.

Trust me, I'm not going to be buying a motorcycle. I have absolutely no idea how to ride one. I'm just trying to make a point. Where could I find such a bike?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I jokingly mentioned to my roommate the other day that I should get a motorcycle for my commute. She freaked out and told me that I would never be able to handle riding a motorcycle. She says I'm too small, and that even a small bike would be too difficult for me to handle.

I do realize that there is every possibility that she's right. However, the whole conversation was kind of a problem for me. I guess I don't like to have her try and boss me around telling me what I am, and am not capable of doing. I don't really think she knows what she's talking about.

Anyway, can someone please tell me if you're aware of a motorcycle that is small enough for a woman to ride? Not a bullet bike, it has to be a normal motorcycle.
I learned how to ride a motorcycle when I was 8 (dirt bike). My parents bought a bike that was small enough for me to handle. I'm guessing that you are bigger than 8-year-old me was, so you should be okay.
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
I learned how to ride a motorcycle when I was 8 (dirt bike). My parents bought a bike that was small enough for me to handle. I'm guessing that you are bigger than 8-year-old me was, so you should be okay.
Yes, but we aren't talking about a dirt bike here. We're talking like the kind of bike you see people riding around town on.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
of course there is.

I agree completely. But that's not stopping me from finally getting myself a Harley when I pay off the last of my student loans. I even have the one picked out.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

As a former rider (I gave up the donor cycle after a close call), I can affirm that a woman can ride any bike a man can if she's willing to put the time into learning how to maneuver it (just as a man would have to do).

Upper body strength can help with a long ride, but most of riding a big bike is just practice, balance, and confidence.

But you wouldn't want to commute on a motorcycle anyway (I know you just want to make a point with your roommate). Commuting is maximum risk with minimum enjoyment.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 09-14-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
As a former rider (I gave up the donor cycle after a close call), I can affirm that a woman can ride any bike a man can if she's willing to put the time into learning how to maneuver it (just as a man would have to do).

Upper body strength can help with a long ride, but most of riding a big bike is just practice, balance, and confidence.

But you wouldn't want to commute on a motorcycle anyway (I know you just want to make a point with your roomate). Commuting is maximum risk with minimum enjoyment.
Hmmm...good to know. I'll make sure I pass that piece of information along.

It seems like it would be a lot faster, and lot cheaper to ride a bike to work every day, instead of driving a car. The only catch is that were I to ever get a motorcycle, I would never take one on the freeways out here. I have passed by the mangled remains of a motorcycle or two on the 405 right after an accident. Can't imagine what the riders must have looked like. No thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Try a Vespa or a Vino.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:42 AM   #10
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Try a Vespa or a Vino.
No way. If motorcycles are dangerous, scooters are suicide. All the invisibility of a motorcycle without the noice, metal, or acceleration.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote