cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Tribune BYU beat writer

Rhiannon Potkey is doing a terrific job on her blog, which she updates regularly.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Good read, thanks.

Amazing a reporter who regularly blogs.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Good read, thanks.

Amazing a reporter who regularly blogs.
It will be nice to have her blog during the season. She really seems enthused about this job.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It will be nice to have her blog during the season. She really seems enthused about this job.
She does indeed, and she's doing a good job. It's a tall order to waltz into a job with nary an idea about the history of the team and try to get up-to-speed quickly enough to inform the faithful. Quite the undertaking.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

What's her professional background?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

From her July 12 post:

Quote:
Introducing Rhiannon

After a brief hiatus, the BYU blog is back in business with a bit of a twist. As many of you may have have noticed, the picture next to the blog has changed.

My name is Rhiannon Potkey, and I am the new BYU beat reporter for the Tribune.

For the first blog, I figure I might as well tell you a little bit about myself. But the ensuing blogs will be dedicated to what you care about most - all BYU all the time.

I was born in Nashua, N.H., and moved to Ventura, Calif. when I was 6. For anyone reading this blog who is over 30, yes I was named after the Fleetwood Mac song. (For those of you under 30 who want to hear the live version, here is a link:)

Growing up, I was the poster child of a tomboy and still have the hideous pictures of me with a bowl cut to prove it.

Sports became my obsession at an early age, and I played nearly everything - basketball, soccer, tennis, baseball, softball, lacrosse. I narrowed my focus to basketball and soccer in high school, and was the point guard for the Ventura High Cougars (surely the mascot will score me a few brownie points with BYU fans).

After injuring my knees during my senior season, my fictional WNBA aspirations died a painful death. No longer able to play, I decided I might as well write about sports.

I worked full time at the Ventura County Star while attending UC Santa Barbara - home of the reigning NCAA champion Gaucho men's soccer team.

I am a college sports junkie, and have always wanted a college beat so I could rationalize the hours I spend each night reading stories about random linemen in the deep South or staying up late to watch far West football games and the Great Alaska Shootout.

Once I heard about the BYU beat opening at the Tribune, I jumped at the chance to spend Saturdays at LaVell Edwards Stadium and Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays at the Marriott Center.

So I packed my seven boxes, my bed and my life-size Michael Jordan poster into the U-Haul and made the 11-hour trip down Interstate-15 to Provo. From my cozy living room, I can see the Y on Y Mountain as I type this entry. (Quick aside: I apologize to any drivers in Provo who have been forced to wait an extra second at stoplights as I marvel at the beauty of the Wasatch Range. It's truly breathtaking). I have always followed BYU through newspaper reports and nationally-televised games over the years, but realize I have some learning to do about the complete history of its programs.

I am a willing student though.

I spent the Fourth of July fully engrossed in BYU media guides and watching sporting events on BYU Television and The Mtn.

But the best way to learn more is to give you a chance to display your BYU knowledge.

I want you to tell me the things anyone involved with BYU should know - the history, the traditions, the important milestones.

Tell me about your favorite games, the all-time great players, the memorable moments. Invite your friends, relatives and neighbors to read the blog and contribute. The more, the merrier.

Throughout the season, I will be the unbiased eyes and ears in my reporting and I encourage as much interaction on the blog as possible. Feel free to send me an email (rpotkey@sltrib.com) any time of day, any day of the week with a question, thought or suggestion. Like you, I am counting down the hours until players report to preseason camp and another glorious fall college football season officially begins.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I just read some of her stuff. I'm not optimistic about her but I'm starving for any BYU stuff I can get. BYU probably supports a newbie, outsider reporter with no connections so they can easily keep her out of their business.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road
Default Trib v. Des News

So far she's doing a much better job for the Trib covering BYU than her U of U counter part Lya something-or-other. Her football blog hasn't been updated since March. I must say that the Tribune's sports coverage of college sports is pathetic.

The Deseret News covered the Sileaga story the day it happened. The Trib was a day late with that story.

By way of observation: Growing up in SLC, the Trib and channel 2 were mostly pro-Ute. The Deseret News and KSL were essentially pro-BYU. Over the last 5 or 6 years, I have noticed that they are both moving to a more balanced coverage, even though there is still the slight scent of a bias - very slight (i.e. Dick Harmon for the Desnews and Mike Lewis for the Tribune).

Currently, I give a significant edge to the Desnews in its coverage of BYU and U of U sports - football in particular.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote