cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Need advise on a trainer

I am considering getting a trainer for the garage for the winter.

Which way should I go - magnet or fluid resistance? Are there any other options which are price comparable? Nashbar and Performance both have units that you can get for less than $250-300. Are rollers not even worth consideration?

Any recommendations?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have a roller and a CompuTrainer

I don't like trainers unless they are computrainer, as at least you get variable resistance, and feel like you're actually outdoors.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I don't like trainers either, but that is easy

to say when you live in a place that doesn't get snow. Rollers are great at improving your form; you will spin smoothly and efficiently after a winter of using them. OTherwise, I probably prefer fluid trainers, but I think it is a preference as opposed to an objective choice.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the performance brand fluid trainer. I can't adjust the resistance, and it is kind of like going slightly uphill. I go much faster for the same effort when out on the road. My guess is that changing resistance is not a big deal or really necessary. I've never used rollers or a computrainer.

I have a hard time actually sitting on the bike in trainer. Bored. Can't do it for very long. Probably taking a spin class would be better.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
bluegoose

Default I hear you on the boredom factor.

I certainly don't look forward to the trainer this winter. A necessary evil if I want to try and stay in shape. I run a couple of days a week and last year we mountain biked on friday mornings at 5 am, but that is tough to do too often as I would have to pack up the bike and drive 15 minutes across town to hit the trails.

During the spring and summer months we hit the roads at 5 am and do about 30 miles before work. But even now it is just way too dark that early to feel safe on the road. We've had a couple of close calls (getting run off the road by idiot drivers), hopefully which my wife will never hear about. Otherwise I'll be banished to the trainer forever.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
bluegoose

I recently bought the Performance brand fluid trainer and have tried it out a few times. So far I love it, compared to the alternative of freezing my butt off outdoors. By playing with the gears on the bike you can vary the resistance a fair amount, but it still not enough to simulate going up a steeper grade hill, and standing on the pedals is a bit awkward.

Along with the trainer, the best thing that I got to go along with it is the book stand to attach to the handlebars. Makes 30-45 minutes in the saddle much more tolerable.

Maybe 30 minutes isn't enough though. Solvang Century is sneaking up on us....
Old 12-02-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

I've got a Cycleops. It's good (for a trainer). Rollers are the way to go if you can get a good set and if you're not afraid of the rug burn from the "learning curve"
DirtyHippieUTE is offline   Reply With Quote