cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Law vs. Academia (family friendliness)

I'm curious about what seems to be the almost unanimous (?) opinion that law is friendlier to family life than academia.

Of course, there are many kinds of law. But have they not heard of "billable hours"?

There are many kinds of academia as well. Some kinds of academia require very long hours. But certainly not all.

But I think what we have here is the classic case of a false choice--the idea that making more money makes you a better father. Even if making that money means you are working long, long hours.

Ideal profession for family-life: not long hours, flexible schedule, ability to take time off, sufficient funds for food, clothing, shelter, transportation.

But what do I know.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

As this is likely a response to what I said earlier, allow me to qualify.

My dad is a lawyer. He has had to spend plenty of time away from his family, it is true. He has also been to my games, coached my teams, attended concerts, played with grandchildren, served in church callings, and all the rest.

Law is a demanding profession, and I have no illusions as to whether it will require extensive time and effort. I also have reason to believe that it will allow the time and means to enable other life pursuits in church and family life. You can do that in academia, too, of course, but those in academia have warned me that it is considerably more difficult.

I think what you've pointed out is true: money does not necessarily make you a better father. It may be tough to believe, but money is not the major reason I want to go into law.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
As this is likely a response to what I said earlier, allow me to qualify.

My dad is a lawyer. He has had to spend plenty of time away from his family, it is true. He has also been to my games, coached my teams, attended concerts, played with grandchildren, served in church callings, and all the rest.

Law is a demanding profession, and I have no illusions as to whether it will require extensive time and effort. I also have reason to believe that it will allow the time and means to enable other life pursuits in church and family life. You can do that in academia, too, of course, but those in academia have warned me that it is considerably more difficult.

I think what you've pointed out is true: money does not necessarily make you a better father. It may be tough to believe, but money is not the major reason I want to go into law.
I've been in conversations, many of them, where it was said, "We can't offer that calling to this man, because of his job. He's a [insert investment banking / law/ etc.]. He just doesn't have the time." These men never knew they had been passed over. So instead, they get put into calling like primary teacher, etc. Noble callings, surely, but there were other callings they could have been asked to do, but were perceived to not have the time.

I still don't see how being an associate at a big firm allows you to spend more time with your family and have more time for church callings.

http://www.aish.com/societyWork/work...lable_Hour.asp
Old 05-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Lot's of LDS lawyers in DC, and a big problem is that they bring their argumentativenesses home.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Lot's of LDS lawyers in DC, and a big problem is that they bring their argumentativenesses home.
Good thing I don't have this problem.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I really don't get where this hostility to the law is coming from. The law is a noble profession, even if many in its ranks are far from noble. The law opens many opportunities for service, intellectual growth, opportunity, and yes, even wealth. It has its inherent dangers, just like any other profession. Perhaps they are more pronounced in the law, although I am skeptical that is the case. Nevertheless, those who enter the law generally do so with open eyes. Once they have entered, they may still discover the law isn't what they wanted from it, but I find that is generally not a failing of the law but a failing of the practice area/firm/company/setting that they have chosen which is then extrapolated to the law in general.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I really don't get where this hostility to the law is coming from. The law is a noble profession, even if many in its ranks are far from noble. The law opens many opportunities for service, intellectual growth, opportunity, and yes, even wealth. It has its inherent dangers, just like any other profession. Perhaps they are more pronounced in the law, although I am skeptical that is the case. Nevertheless, those who enter the law generally do so with open eyes. Once they have entered, they may still discover the law isn't what they wanted from it, but I find that is generally not a failing of the law but a failing of the practice area/firm/company/setting that they have chosen which is then extrapolated to the law in general.
is it a profession that you go into because it is better for families.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #8
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
is it a profession that you go into because it is better for families.
"Better" relative to what?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Read the title of the thread. And in general.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #10
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Read the title of the thread. And in general.
One of the reasons I'm going into law is that I have seen people who did so, were successful in their careers, and were still able to devote time to their families and church responsibilities. I was warned that it would be considerably more difficult to do so in academia.