cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road
Default Attorney Networking Ideas?

A couple of years out of law school, I was just let go (non-performance based) as part of massive lay-offs at a top firm in Southern California. I was mainly doing corporate finance and securities work, although I have pretty well rounded experience. Because it was slow, I picked up some good litigation experience in the last year.

So I am soliciting advice on career moves from some of you other attorneys. Should I:
1. Attempt to re-brand myself as a litigation guy and aim at, e.g. IP litigation jobs that appear to be out there;
2. Concentrate on in-house jobs, despite being just a few years out of school;
3. Take my severance and travel until the legal market turns around;
4. Move to Asia to conduct a job search -- where I have 5 years' experience and a language advantage;
5. Look for stop-gap non-legal jobs;
6. Look for a legal staffing job;
7. Find a mom-and-pop litigation shop;
8. Start my own firm with a few friends?

At the moment my job strategy could best be described as carpet-bombing "acc jobline" and other job search board listings, combined with having headhunters on the ground in Asia, Texas, Northern and Southern California.

My real weakpoint seems to be networking -- which according to the outplacement service the firm is sponsoring is the most important part of my search. I have let family and friends know that I am looking, flexible and willing to relocate almost anywhere. But I'm not sure how best to tackle networking. Ideas?
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincoug View Post
A couple of years out of law school, I was just let go (non-performance based) as part of massive lay-offs at a top firm in Southern California. I was mainly doing corporate finance and securities work, although I have pretty well rounded experience. Because it was slow, I picked up some good litigation experience in the last year.

So I am soliciting advice on career moves from some of you other attorneys. Should I:
1. Attempt to re-brand myself as a litigation guy and aim at, e.g. IP litigation jobs that appear to be out there;
4. Move to Asia to conduct a job search -- where I have 5 years' experience and a language advantage;

At the moment my job strategy could best be described as carpet-bombing "acc jobline" and other job search board listings, combined with having headhunters on the ground in Asia, Texas, Northern and Southern California.

My real weakpoint seems to be networking -- which according to the outplacement service the firm is sponsoring is the most important part of my search. I have let family and friends know that I am looking, flexible and willing to relocate almost anywhere. But I'm not sure how best to tackle networking. Ideas?
What would you like to do, other than survive?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

I think you will need to leave California. The market is very tough right now. Asia is also not really hiring much. They have laid off most Americans, because they are so much more expensive than locals and the work is slow.

If you were at a top firm, you may be able to find something at a top regional firm out of California. In house is always a possibility but hit and miss, and California corporations aren't hiring much at the moment for in house.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Bruincoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I think you will need to leave California. The market is very tough right now. Asia is also not really hiring much. They have laid off most Americans, because they are so much more expensive than locals and the work is slow.

If you were at a top firm, you may be able to find something at a top regional firm out of California. In house is always a possibility but hit and miss, and California corporations aren't hiring much at the moment for in house.
This is basically what I'm finding. California is generally dead. Asia is dead -- but in Asia I have a comparative advantage -- language ability and experience working in the region. My firm laid off lots of Americans and locals in Asia. Headhunters are not optimistic -- but expect a turnaround in late 2009, earlier than the US. So, I'm thinking of doing something on the business side, or even something entrepreneurial, in China in the short term -- even if it means a significant pay cut.

I was at a top firm -- and I have been applying to a number of regional or even small market firms throughout the West. How do I find the right relationships in Denver, Portland, Phoenix, etc.? I.e., Right now I'm just a resume on a desk in those places.

Other than "survive", I would like to do transactional work: M&A and corporate finance. In Texas, energy companies and a few firms doing energy work seem to be hiring still -- and I have done lots of energy work. So, I am exploring there, with a hope to stay on the transactional side. Mid-market M&A is picking up.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy crap, if this piece o' crap website is one of your best networking opportunities, you are not doing well!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
This is basically what I'm finding. California is generally dead. Asia is dead -- but in Asia I have a comparative advantage -- language ability and experience working in the region. My firm laid off lots of Americans and locals in Asia. Headhunters are not optimistic -- but expect a turnaround in late 2009, earlier than the US. So, I'm thinking of doing something on the business side, or even something entrepreneurial, in China in the short term -- even if it means a significant pay cut.

I was at a top firm -- and I have been applying to a number of regional or even small market firms throughout the West. How do I find the right relationships in Denver, Portland, Phoenix, etc.? I.e., Right now I'm just a resume on a desk in those places.

Other than "survive", I would like to do transactional work: M&A and corporate finance. In Texas, energy companies and a few firms doing energy work seem to be hiring still -- and I have done lots of energy work. So, I am exploring there, with a hope to stay on the transactional side. Mid-market M&A is picking up.
One thing you can try is looking up the major firms in those cities, then using their attorney directory to look up attorneys who graduated from BYU. They may be sympathetic and helpful. I left the J. Reuben Clark Law Society about a year ago (some disagreements with the organization), but they are also helpful in this context. See if they have a local chapter. They may even have a chapter in Asia.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Bruincoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Holy crap, if this piece o' crap website is one of your best networking opportunities, you are not doing well!
Nah. I just come here to bitch, moan and blow smoke, most of which I can't do very well at church or around ordinary BYU fans.

But don't let that stop you from voting on my fate. Maybe I'll go ski in New Zealand for a few months.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
henry456

henry456 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation reply

I be thankful for the concern which is been arises here. The things need to be solved out because it is about the individual but it can be with each person.

-------------
Henry Pollick
Attorney
henry456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry456 View Post
I be thankful for the concern which is been arises here. The things need to be solved out because it is about the individual but it can be with each person.

-------------
Henry Pollick
Attorney
wow, now two lawyer-novelists on one site. what are the chances?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
wow, now two lawyer-novelists on one site. what are the chances?
I find the work incendiary, feeding rather dispelling darkness.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote