cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #91
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'd just like to point out that the conflict between working and staying at home with the kids is not unique to the Latter-day Saint woman.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #92
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I'd just like to point out that the conflict between working and staying at home with the kids is not unique to the Latter-day Saint woman.
True enough, but admittedly, the nature of the conflict has a doctrinal edge among Latter-day Saint women that can't be found elsewhere.

A universal issue, certainly, but we have a unique way of handling it.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #93
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Back many years ago, ETB said that women should not be working outside of the home, barring extraordinary circumstances. I will need to find the exact quote. It created a lot of consternation. People don't like to feel like they are disobeying the prophet. So you get a lot of creative interpretation and rationalization.

I'm not sure if this was it or not, but along the same vein:
http://fc.byu.edu/jpages/ee/w_etb87.htm

Quote:
Now, my dear mothers, knowing of your divine role to bear and rear children and bring them back to Him, how will you accomplish this in the Lord's way? I say the Lord's way, because it is different from the world's way.

The Lord clearly defined the roles of mothers and fathers in providing for and rearing a righteous posterity. In the beginning, Adam--not Eve--was instructed to earn the bread by the sweat of his brow. Contrary to conventional wisdom, a mother's calling is in the home, not in the market place.

Again, in the Doctrine and Covenants, we read: "Women have claim on their husbands for their maintenance, until their husbands are taken" (D&C 83:2). This is the divine right of a wife and mother. She cares for and nourishes her children at home. Her husband earns the living for the family, which makes this nourishing possible. With that claim on their husbands for their financial support, the counsel of the Church has always been for mothers to spend their full time in the home in rearing and caring for their children.

We realize also that some of our choice sisters are widowed and divorced and that others find themselves in unusual circumstances where, out of necessity, they are required to work for a period of time. But these instances are the exception, not the rule.

In a home where there is an able-bodied husband, he is expected to be the breadwinner. Sometimes we hear of husbands who, because of economic conditions, have lost their jobs and expect their wives to go out of the home and work even though the husband is still capable of providing for his family. In these cases, we urge the husband to do all in his power to allow his wife to remain in the home caring for the children while he continues to provide for his family the best he can, even though the job be is able secure may not be ideal and family budgeting will have to be tighter.

Our beloved prophet Spencer W. Kimball had much to say about the role of mothers in the home and their callings and responsibilities. I am impressed tonight to share with you some of his inspired pronouncements. I fear that much of his counsel has gone unheeded, and families have suffered because of it. But I stand this evening as a second witness to the truthfulness of what President Spencer W. Kimball said. He spoke as a true prophet of God.

President Kimball declared: "Women are to take care of the family--the Lord has so stated--to be an assistant to the husband, to work with him, but not to earn the living, except in unusual circumstances. Men ought to be men indeed and earn the living under normal circumstances" (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 318 ).

President Kimball continues: "Too many mothers work away from home to furnish sweaters and music lessons and trips and fun for their children. Too many women spend their time in socializing, in politicking, in public services when they should be home to teach and train and receive and love their children into security" (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p. 319).

Remember the counsel of President Kimball to John and Mary: "Mary, you are to become a career woman in the greatest career on earth--that of homemaker, wife, and mother. It was never intended by the Lord that married women should compete with men in employment. They have a far greater and more important service to render.

Again President Kimball speaks: "The husband is expected to support his family and only in an emergency should a wife secure outside employment. Her place is in the home, to build the home into a haven of delight.

"Numerous divorces can be traced directly to the day when the wife left the home and went out into the world into employment. Two incomes raise the standard of living beyond its norm. Two spouses working prevent the complete and proper home life, break into the family prayers, create an independence which is not cooperative, causes distortion, limits the family, and frustrates the children already born" (Spencer W. Kimball, San Antonio Fireside, Dec. 3, 1977, pp. 9-10 ).

Finally President Kimball counsels: "I beg of you, you who could and should be bearing and rearing a family: Wives, come home from the typewriter, the laundry, the nursing, come home from the factory, the cafe. No career approaches in importance that of wife, homemaker, mother--cooking meals, washing dishes, making beds for one's precious husband and children. Come home, wives, to your husbands. Make home a heaven for them. Come home, wives, to your children, born and unborn. Wrap the motherly cloak about you and, unembarrassed, help in a major role to create the bodies for the immortal souls who anxiously await.

"When you have fully complemented your husband in home life and borne the children, growing up full of faith, integrity, responsibility, and goodness, then you have achieved your accomplishment supreme, without peer, and you will be the envy [of all] through time and eternity" (Spencer W. Kimball, San Antonio Fireside, Dec. 3, 1977, pp. 11-12).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #94
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm not sure that I know any LDS female physicians. Not a one.
Seriously?

Our ward has 3 female physicians, including the Stake President's wife.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #95
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Seriously?

As in can't remember meeting one ever in my life.

I know of one that considered taking a job up here, but I never met her, nor did she take the job. (incidentally she was single).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:08 AM   #96
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Seriously?

I honestly don't think I have ever met one in any ward I have been in either. I have met a few female LDS attorneys,
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote